Ground Stations Operations Preparation Engineer
Serco Nederland BV,/ Serco Services GmbH, part of the Serco group, A FTSE250, Multi-national Service Provider with over 50,000 employees worldwide.
Serco’s space heritage over the last 40 years has placed us in the Space News Top 50 Space Industry Manufacturing and Services Companies - We work alongside EUMETSAT and the European Space Agency, where we are the largest on-site service provider with ca. 300 staff.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Ground Stations Operations Preparation Engineer based at EUMETSAT.
The successful post holder will provide support to the operations preparation of the MTG programme from a system wide and ground stations perspective and the subsequent bringing of it into routine operations. The Contractor will also provide services to the routine operations phases of the existing MSG and EPS programmes.
The key person will provide services to the RSO division but shall initially provide services to the PRD department for the development and operations preparation of the MTG Programme focussing on system and ground station aspects, ensuring they are brought to a suitable level for the transition of the programme into routine operations.
The support comprises a range of tasks across a number of different departments within EUMETSAT so the Key Person will need a broad knowledge of operational ground segments and how the ground stations fit into the general scheme.
The ideal candidate shall also contribute to the routine operations of the existing MSG and EPS ground stations, as well as their future evolutions.
The Key Person will perform the following tasks:
- System and Ground segment operations preparation activities;
- Review documentation and attend formal reviews;
- Defining and performing Ground Station Operational Scenario Validation (OSV) and Operational Rehearsal activities for future programmes;
- Definition and maintenance of operations procedures (manual and automated), displays, databases and operations guides;
- Liaison with the spacecraft operations team to ensure the continuity and optimisation of spacecraft monitoring and control activities;
- Day to day operations of current and future ground stations (including day-to-day planning, monitoring and first line anomaly investigations);
- Processing and coordination of system and ground segment anomalies (in particular but not limited to ground stations ), their documentation, investigation, classification and resolution/mitigation, including participation in Anomaly Review Boards;
- Analysis of ground station obsolescence, and upgrade paths within a 24/7 operations environment;
- Participation in technical meetings, formal reviews, and scheduling and planning meetings;
- Provision of training, through written materials, practical demonstrations and presentations, to other members of the Operations and Engineering Teams.
The Ideal Candidate
In addition to having a university degree in a relevant technical discipline or the equivalent work experience, the Key Person shall have the following mandatory attributes:
- at least two years’ experience in a real-time spacecraft operations environment;
- at least two years’ experience in the routine operations of large and complex ground stations – preferably in an earth observation environment;
- experience of the preparation and use of operational procedures, databases, displays and documentation.
Experience of the following would be a distinct advantage:
- experience in the operations preparation and routine operations of Geostationary (‘GEO’) and/or Low Earth Orbit (‘LEO’) satellite systems;
- experience of document management and configuration control processes;
- experience of development and upgrades within a 24/7 operations environment;
- experience in defining user interfaces for operations (HMI, reports, etc.);
- experience in the configuration and/or use of Space Link Extension (SLE);
- experience in the use of Dataminer.
The official languages of EUMETSAT are English and French. The working language for the position is English and therefore the key person must be able to work effectively in this language and have knowledge of the other.
The Key Person shall additionally possess the following skills:
Autonomy and Resourcefulness.
- Work proactively in an individual or team environment, without supervision.
- Perform effectively under high workloads and be able to adapt to a rapidly-changing time-critical environment.
- Conducting activities in an orderly and disciplined manner, working calmly and correctly under stress.
Teamwork / Integrity
- Share expertise and experience with other team members - provide cross-training and support.
- Work in, and where necessary lead, small teams;
- Value and respect other opinions, treat others fairly, encouraging participation;
- Accept criticism positively and be willing to adapt and change working methods.
Planning and Organisation
- Prepare critical activities in advance and in detail, to be shared for review and approval prior to the actual execution of the work.
- Coordinate and communicate activities with key stakeholders (management, operators, quality assurance, configuration management).
Problem Solving / Innovation
- Take ownership of problems through to effective resolution;
- Develop initiatives to resolve underlying issues that go beyond the immediate problem; Take steps to minimise risks in both the near- and long-term.
- Possess excellent verbal and written communications skills and be confident to deal with a wide variety of people and to influence at all levels.
- Have excellent presentation and training skills with the ability to deliver a message such that it generates learning and understanding.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
For positions located within the Darmstadt Support Office please note that only applicants with no family affiliation within the Company will be considered.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Highly competitive salary
Corporate Benefits Package
Relocation Assistance (if applicable)
Further information available from the Serco Europe Recruitment Team
About the Company
Serco is one of the world’s largest providers of public services, employing over 50,000 people in over 20 countries.
We work closely with the European Government Institutions & Space Agencies providing crucial Services with over 300 staff members.
The services we provide are often of critical importance to the communities and nations we serve, Providing public services is one of the most satisfying and rewarding careers you can have, you have an ability to make a real positive difference to people’s lives and to your community and country.
As a business which delivers “front-line” public services, employing tens of thousands of people, we are constantly developing and promoting people; our need for skilled professionals is insatiable and few companies can offer as many opportunities for individuals to grow their careers
What connects the ever growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service – To keep ahead we have to constantly evolve and enhance the way we deliver our services and everyone in Serco has a role to play here.
Serco provide the right environment to encourage ideas and a comprehensive Best Practice support network that enables them to put their ideas into action.
If you share our values then join with over 50,000 colleagues globally who are equally as passionate about delivering great service as you
A career with Serco offers the chance to work with both inspirational people and innovative contracts, in a dynamic and exciting environment.
We have a mandate to execute brilliantly and our people lead and inspire based on our core values, Trust, Care, Pride and Innovation.
Take pride in what you do.
Serco European Agencies