Ground Station Integration Engineer
Are you fascinated about Space? Do you have experience in the use of drawing tools for production of large diagrams and have worked with graphical tools, like AUTOCAD, MS Visio ? You could be our new Ground Station Integration Engineer. Come and join talented diverse Serco team at the European Organisation for the European Space Operations Centre (ESOC) based in Darmstadt, Germany.
Serco is among the leading Space Industry and Services Companies. Serco’s space heritage over the last 40 years has placed us in the Space News Top 50 Space Industry Manufacturing and Services Companies - We work alongside EUMETSAT and the European Space Agency, our employees have been providing everyday their technical, scientific and management skills to support the full range of European cornerstone space missions.
As Ground Station Integration Engineer you will concentrate your activities on the following:
- Engineering support for ESTRACK upgrades including documentation and configuration control updates for smaller upgrades
- Produce, update and maintain drawings and presentations for OPS-GS, especially all ESTRACK ground station diagrams
- Maintain all documentation, drawings and the Ground-Station integration database(ICDB) under configuration control
- Populate/update the ECDB database
- Support the production of integration documentation for NDIU
- Integrate documentation and drawings on system and sub-system level
- Support testing and validation in the Reference Ground Station and in ESTRACK
Additionally, you will monitor the calibration status of all Ground Segment test equipment and organise the calibration of the equipment through an external contractor/supplier. You will be required to participate in reviews related to ESTRACK upgrades, systems and sub-system, provide a receiving and distribution service for the test equipment pool on demand.
To be successful in the position you need to ensure that test equipment pool records are properly updated, that proper maintenance of the equipment in the laboratories and Ground Segment Reference Facilities equipment store is carried out, through periodic re-check in line with a maintenance plan to be established and maintained.
As a team member you will need to organise the space allocated for storage covering short-term, medium-term and long-term storage, maintain complete inventories of stored items by use of ESA database, like the ESTRACK configuration database (ECDB) and the Integration Configuration Database (ICDB), apply proper documents and procedures for reception of items into the stores and for distribution of them out of the store.
Additionally, you will propose procurement actions for store replenishment, as necessary, organise shipments, produce and maintain all ESTRACK ground station diagrams under configuration control.
Some of your further tasks will be as follows:
- Provide new drawings or updates with drawing tools selected by the Agency (e.g. station block diagrams, station layout) as required by staff or documentation service.
- Provide support for conversion of drawing among different applications (e.g.
- AUTOCAD to Microsoft Vision)
- Provide support for the preparation of presentations and posters using Microsoft PowerPoint and Microsoft Visio, or other applications selected by the Agency.
- Liaise with engineering support for preparation and verification of technical drawings.
- Produce, update and maintain drawings under configuration control.
- Support the production of integration documentation for NDIU or ESTRACK station systems integrated under the supervision of HSO-GS.
- Install and integrate documentation and drawings of system and sub-system level.
- Maintain and keep under configuration control the Ground-Station integration database (ICDB).
- Organise drawing office facilities maintenance.
- Perform the population/update of databases as required during and after the execution of small ground station upgrades for ESTRACK
- Facilitate the import/export of data between ICDB and ECDB
- Facilitate the provision of ICDB/ECDB data to system integrators prior to ground station upgrades for ESTRACK
- Populate/update the ECDB database upon reception of items in ESOC.
- Support to ad-hoc mechanical and electrical integration works, and maintenance of the associated mechanical and electrical tools, including occasional travel to remote sites.
Do you think you are the person we are looking for? See below what experience or knowledge you should bring:
- Experience of integration and upgrading of larger systems (ideally satellite ground stations), including testing and validation.
- Expertise in the use of drawing tools for production of large diagrams (knowledge in graphical tools, like AUTOCAD, MS Visio and others is desirable)
- Good knowledge in database organisation, documentation and configuration control.
High proficiency of English and availability to travel (depending on missions, working across global sites as required) would be a great asset.
Other desirable skills;
- Experience in equipment handling: status monitoring, handling of repair, disposal,
- Experience in calibration procedures and organisation with external suppliers.
- Organisational experience.
- Use of ECDB.
- Use of Lotus Notes database.
- Expertise in the standard practices used for computer-based store keeping.
- Administrative experience with technical background.
- Storage procedures expertise to handle short, medium- and long-term storage
- Expertise in the use of drawing tools for production of large diagrams
- Expert in AUTOCAD, MS Visio, good knowledge of other graphical Packages is desirable
- Background on mechanical and electrical integration, including certification for electrical works
- Organisation skills to handle handling the documentation received from various sources.
- Good knowledge of MS Project.
- Good knowledge of MS Office suite especially PowerPoint, Word, Excel.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
What we offer if you join our amazing team:
• Competitive Salary
• Corporate Benefits Package
• Exciting relocation package (if applicable)
• Company events
About the Company
Serco is one of the world’s largest providers of public services to Governments employing over 50,000 people in over 20 countries. In Europe, Serco supports governments and international organisations in the delivery of essential public services with operations in Belgium, France and French Guyana, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland.
What connects the ever growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service and to keep ahead we have to constantly evolve and enhance the way we deliver our services and everyone in Serco has a role to play. We have a mandate to execute brilliantly and our people lead and inspire based on our core values, Trust, Care, Pride and Innovation.
As a business which delivers “front-line” public services, employing tens of thousands of people, we are constantly developing and promoting people; our need for skilled professionals is insatiable and few companies can offer as many opportunities for individuals to grow their careers.
A career with Serco offers the chance to work with both inspirational people and innovative contracts, in a dynamic and exciting environment.
If you share our values and want to join a team of over 50,000 passionate colleagues globally we want to hear from you.
Make a difference every day.
Take pride in what you do!
Serco European Agencies