Ground Segment / NOC Engineer
Serco Services GmbH part of the Serco group, A FTSE250, Multi-national Service Provider with over 50,000 employees worldwide.
Serco’s space heritage over the last 40 years has placed us in the Space News Top 50 Space Industry Manufacturing and Services Companies - We work alongside EUMETSAT and the European Space Agency, where we are the largest on-site service provider with ca. 300 staff.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Ground Segment / NOC Engineer based at ESOC, Darmstadt, Germany.
For our activities European Space Operations Centre, we are currently seeking to employ a highly motivated and enthusiastic Ground Segment / NOC Engineer to work in an exciting innovative international environment
The role will be part of the Network Operations Centre (NOC) tasked with coordinating, configuring and monitoring activities related to the ESA ground segment, specifically the Telemetry, Tracking and Command (TT&C) stations of the ESTRACK ground station network.
The NOC is responsible for providing 1st and 2nd line support to the ESA space missions and its users.
It provides Ground Operations, Operational IT and Operational Control Centre services and acts as single point of contact for real-time service requests from ESTRACK customers.
The main tasks of the Network Operations Center Engineer will be:
- Support to service transition & roll-out of new solutions and operational validation;
- Support prototyping and pilot projects;
- Supporting ESA Station Engineers and Ground Operations Engineers in identified projects and the execution of delegated tasks;
- Support of LEOP (launch and early orbit) activities;
- Provide 2nd line ground operations support to the NOC;
- Support mission preparations (launches, mission readiness tests, station tests and tracking campaigns);
- Testing and evaluation of system configurations;
- Coordination and configuration control of SW (applications, OS) in use by the NOC;
- Develop and maintain operational procedures and documentation.
The NOC Engineer will be expected to occasionally work as part of a 24/7 shift in support of launches and special operations.
The successful candidate should bring good professional experience in end-to-end ground station systems required for spacecraft operations, antenna, RF front-end equipment, back-end TTC systems, communication equipment, M&C systems, station general support systems and preferably also in the area of space to ground communications and RF. A good level of scripting/programming skills would be highly appreciated.
The Key person will possess the following qualities:
- Solid experience in end-to-end ground station systems for spacecraft operations;
- Solid test procedures, equipment and tools background;
- Good ground systems knowledge on a subsystem level;
- Familiarity with operational environments;
- Ability to understand and accurately predict behaviour of complex systems;
- Fluent in English, both in speech and writing;
- Self-starter, able to work independently with little or no supervision;
- Pro-active and confident personality with good persuasive skills;
- Team-player, able to interface with technical and management personnel;
- Well-organised, able to prioritise and manage several tasks in parallel;
- Able to work on (night) shifts occasionally;
- Solid IT knowledge, including Linux, networking concepts and common tools and software applications;
- Service mentality and solid understanding of a KPI driven service environment;
- Able to write and present documentation and reports;
- Willingness and ability to pass on knowledge to/train junior team members;
- Shell Scripting, Python knowledge;
- Applicants require a University (or similar) degree in engineering, physics or similar applicable discipline.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Highly competitive salary
Corporate Benefits Package
Relocation Assistance (if applicable)
Further information available from the Serco Europe Recruitment Team
About the Company
Serco is one of the world’s largest providers of public services, employing over 50,000 people in over 20 countries.
We work closely with the European Government Institutions & Space Agencies providing crucial Services with over 300 staff members.
The services we provide are often of critical importance to the communities and nations we serve, Providing public services is one of the most satisfying and rewarding careers you can have, you have an ability to make a real positive difference to people’s lives and to your community and country.
As a business which delivers “front-line” public services, employing tens of thousands of people, we are constantly developing and promoting people; our need for skilled professionals is insatiable and few companies can offer as many opportunities for individuals to grow their careers
What connects the ever growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service – To keep ahead we have to constantly evolve and enhance the way we deliver our services and everyone in Serco has a role to play here.
Serco provide the right environment to encourage ideas and a comprehensive Best Practice support network that enables them to put their ideas into action.
If you share our values then join with over 50,000 colleagues globally who are equally as passionate about delivering great service as you
A career with Serco offers the chance to work with both inspirational people and innovative contracts, in a dynamic and exciting environment.
We have a mandate to execute brilliantly and our people lead and inspire based on our core values, Trust, Care, Pride and Innovation.
Take pride in what you do.
Serco European Agencies