Earth Observation Data Analysis, Image Processing and Software Development Expert
At Serco, we strive to promote and enable the diversity, development, wellbeing and safety of our people. We understand that healthier, happier employees go hand-in-hand with strong business performance, enhanced productivity and better outcomes for those we serve. We want everybody who works for Serco to have a positive experience and access to opportunities to develop in their chosen careers.
The Joint Research Centre (JRC) is the European Commission's science and knowledge service which employs scientists to carry out research in order to provide independent scientific advice and support to EU policy. As subcontractor, Serco Italia S.p.A. is currently looking for a Earth Observation Data Analysis, Image Processing and Software Development Expert to join our great team in Ispra (VA)!
Does working in a Serco environment sound appealing to you?
We would love to hear from you and your interest in this new job opportunity!
Does this vacancy not suit your profile? Not to worry, you can send your updated CV to email@example.com – a member of our Recruitment Team will come back to you shortly after.
As Earth Observation Data Analysis, Image Processing and Software Development Expert you will be responsible for:
- In collaboration with JRC staff, the following tasks are expected from the external service provider:
- Maintenance of tools to handle and analyze satellite imagery, including SeaDAS (SeaWiFS Data Analysis System);
- Identification, preparation and documentation of the scripts required to run a batch-mode processing of satellite data with appropriate software (relying principally on SeaDAS modules) with particular attention to ancillary data;
- Testing and operating this environment with past and current sensors (including Sentinel-3 missions) and managing the D02 ocean colour data archive;
- Exploring the processing of additional, high-resolution, satellite data (Landsat-8, Sentinel- 2) for validation applications;
- Developing software codes supporting the quantification of uncertainty budgets for satellite data;
- Contributing to the assessment, comparison and time analysis of satellite data series through the development of appropriate software;
- Supporting the use of radiative transfer codes associated with software tools dedicated to the development of advanced satellite products.
In return, we offer a friendly, supportive and professional environment that respects your work/life balance and ultimately contributes to the delivery of public services in Italy and around the world.
The following skills and knowledge are requested for the performance of the above listed tasks:
- Expertise requested in IDL programming language;
- Expertise requested in Shell and Python scripting in a Linux environment;
- Experience requested in C programming language;
- Experience on the management, processing and analysis of satellite or geospatial data files;
- Expertise on existing software dedicated to satellite data processing and analysis (like SeaDAS) appreciated;
- Experience in working with radiative transfer codes appreciated;
- Experience in Earth sciences appreciated;
- Experience in IT microservices appreciated;
- Capacity for planning and taking initiative in an IT environment applied to scientific endeavors;
- English verbal and written skills requested for reporting and software documentation;
- Analysis and problem solving skills;
- Capability to write clear and structured technical documents.
Due to the particular nature of a large international organisation such as the European Commission, candidates should also have the following non-technical skills:
- Capability of integration in an international/multicultural environment, rapid self-starting capability and experience in working in team;
- Ability to participate in multilingual meetings;
- Ability to work in multi-cultural environment, on multiple large projects;
- Excellent Team Player
- Ability to understand, speak and write Italian (B1) will be an advantage;
- High degree of discretion and integrity is required as the applications managed and maintained in Dir. D contain personal and confidential data
Following specific software expertise is mandatory for the performance of tasks:
- at least 3 years of specific expertise in IDL programming (min. competence level 4)1
- at least 3 years of specific expertise with Linux shell (min. competence level 3)
- at least 2 years of specific expertise in Python (min. competence level 3)
- at least 2 years of specific expertise in C (min. competence level 3)
Besides specific software languages, expertise is requested in their application to at least one of the generic fields of remote sensing, Earth sciences or radiative transfer modelling (or similar fields).
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Joining Serco Italy’s amazing team offers:
- Competitive Salary
- Great career opportunities in the Space industry
- Corporate Benefits Package
- Support provided to EU Nationals requiring relocation – Information available upon request
- Company events
- International environment
About the Company
Why should you join Serco ?
At Serco not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play.
Meaningful and vital work - You’ll contribute to methodologically intercepting challenges whilst achievements will also be recognised and celebrated.
A world of opportunity - You’ll be wholeheartedly supported with development and career progression
Great people - You’ll become an integral member of a well-defined and supportive team who believe passionately in the value of our work.
What we offer
- Chance to contribute to innovation in the public services sector
- A company passionate about diversity and inclusion
- Permanent employment with comprehensive Serco Benefits package.
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play when managing complex public services.
We are a team of 60,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world, we are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
By joining Serco you will have unlimited access to our Global Employee Networks – SercoInspire (Gender), SercoEmbrace (Multicultural), SercoUnlimited (Disability) and In@Serco (LGBT & Networks). Serco Employee Networks, led by colleagues who are passionate about diversity, inclusion and belonging.
Please click on the apply button to be taken to our careers website
Serco is a Disability Confident Employer committed to employing and retaining people with disabilities. Disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview.
Serco European Agencies