EGSE Software Engineer (RT-C/TEC-SWG/00659)
Do you have knowledge of Space Systems and Space System Engineering? You could be our new EGSE Software Engineer. Come join Serco team at the European Space Agency.
Serco is among the leading Space Industry and Services Companies. We have over 40 years’ experience in supporting the space sector: Since the creation of the European Space Agency (ESA), our employees have been providing everyday their technical, scientific and management skills to support the full range of European cornerstone space missions.
The EGSE Software Engineer will support ESA project teams in activities related to ground software systems for the science ground segment, specifically data processing.
• Supporting the procurement, development and utilisation of EGSE for space systems, subsystems and instruments, including preparation of requirement specifications, monitoring of industrial activities, acceptance of industrial products and participation in project reviews.
• Supporting R&D studies and Standardization activities in the EGSE domain.
• Supporting the maintenance and future developments of the EGSE Reference Facility to support prototyping of new technology, standards validation and evaluation of industrial methods and tools.
The contractor will be assigned to the Ground Software Systems and Functional Verification Section of the Software Systems Division and provide on demand expertise in activities related to EGSE systems:
• Project support for Ground Software Systems, such as the EarthCare Operational Scientific Ground Segment development, Level 0, 1 and 2 data-processing, visualisation. This includes generic software engineering, software development support, collaborative software development environment support, software acceptance (compilation, installation, running tests);
• Project (such as PLATO) support on the procurement, development and utilisation of EGSE systems, including problem solving, interfaces with external systems and project reviews;
• Support on R&D studies, specifically related to the (currently under development) European Ground System Common Core (EGS-CC), which will be the basis of the future Electrical Ground Support Equipment (EGSE) and Mission Control Systems (MCS) infrastructures in Europe;
• Maintenance and future developments of the EGSE Reference Facility as part of the Software Systems Laboratory. This includes software builds and integration of industrial elements to the EGSE reference facility as well as the functional verification in end-to-end scenarios, maintenance of an EGSE software library/configuration management/lab website, evaluation of needs and generation of requirements for enhancements;
• Support Standardization activities in the EGSE domain (e.g. E70-30 Monitoring and Control Data Definition, E70-32 Test and Operations Language, E70-41 PUS, E10-23 Space System Data Repository).
Do you think you are the person we are looking for? See below what experience or knowledge you should bring:
• A Master degree or PhD in Computer Science, Electronic Engineering, Space Systems Engineering, Mathematics or a related discipline;
• Extensive practical experience of implementing and building complex software systems in the space domain, in developing and utilizing EGSEs, in modelling monitoring and control data in compliance with the ESA monitoring and control systems (legacy systems such as SCOS or future systems such as EGS-CC);
• Knowledge of modern software engineering practices and standards applied to real-time systems;
• Knowledge of Space Systems and Space System Engineering is necessary.
In particular experience with one or more topics such as:
• Level 0, 1 and 2 data-processing chains;
• SW development (Java, Eclipse);
• Service oriented and component based architectures (OSGi, Karaf);
• Unix/Linux system administration and programming;
• Configuration management and build of large SW projects (Git, Maven, Jenkins, Nexus, Gradle);
• Object Oriented design methods and corresponding tools (e.g. MagicDraw);
• Databases: Oracle, Postgres, Hadoop;
• SCOS 2000 and the SCOS 2000 MIB ICD;
• Experience with the relevant ECSS standards particularly PUS and its tailoring.
• Ability to work independently and to establish good working relations with ESA and industrial counterparts is essential.
What we offer if you join our amazing team:
- Competitive Salary
- Corporate Benefits Package
- Exciting relocation package (if applicable)
- Company events
About the Company
Serco is one of the world’s largest providers of public services to Governments employing over 50,000 people in over 20 countries. In Europe, Serco supports governments and international organisations in the delivery of essential public services with operations in Belgium, France and French Guyana, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland.
What connects the ever growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service and to keep ahead we have to constantly evolve and enhance the way we deliver our services and everyone in Serco has a role to play. We have a mandate to execute brilliantly and our people lead and inspire based on our core values, Trust, Care, Pride and Innovation.
If you share our values and want to join a team of over 50,000 passionate colleagues globally we want to hear from you.
Make a difference every day.
Serco European Agencies