Defence BD Director
Serco is a partner of choice to the European Institutions and other International Organisations. For the past 30 years, we have been providing European and International Organisations a wide range of services including ICT services in support, infrastructure, operations and development as well as managing different contact centres for the key European Institutions, agencies and organisations, in Brussels and across Europe.
What connects the ever-growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service –
To keep ahead, we have to evolve continually and enhance the way we deliver our services. Everyone in Serco has a role to play, here.
Serco provides the right environment to encourage ideas and a comprehensive Best Practice support network that enables them to put their ideas into action.
We’re looking for a Defence BD Director, to reinforce the team. This position is based either in Brussels (Belgium), Darmstadt (Germany), Rome (Italy).
You will contribute to the leadership of the Business Development (BD) team and provide direction to the BD function for the defence market in line with the business unit’s vision, goals and strategies. Create and implement a BD Defence strategy in line with Europe and Group strategy for high growth and margin improvement. Own the delivery of the defence market sales targets to ensure successful implementation of the business plan, secure contract wins and revenue growth. Deliver on our commitments to provide high quality services that create sustainable value for our customers, employees and shareholders. Ensure that all business opportunities are properly qualified and reviewed in order to maximise opportunity, profitability and manage/control business and financial risk.
The role is responsible for the delivery of the defence market’s sales targets and successful management of defence bid opportunities in Europe. To lead the delivery of Serco's growth strategy in this market. Deliver an ambitious growth plan containing opportunity for new business and account growth.
We look forward to meeting you! Discover the offer below and click on ‘Apply’ if you know that your skillset and talents are a suitable match for this opportunity.
Are you looking to secure a career in a public sector environment? We would love to hear from you!
As Defence BD Director you will be responsible for:
Winning Good Business:
- To contribute as a member of the business unit’s senior management team in the formation of the business’ strategies and plans.
- To ensure a business development strategy is in place and deliver the growth aspirations of the contracts in line with the commitment to the Business Unit targets.
- To put in place robust strategies and plans for the defence business stream, aligned to Serco Group and divisional strategies, that will deliver the objectives of the Business Unit and selected countries.
- To deliver profitable contract wins and success for a large investment opportunity pipeline.
- Maximise opportunities for growth in current and new capabilities.
- To develop and maintain a network of relationships with customers, potential customers in the sector, partners and stakeholders to develop the credibility of Serco.
- To represent and promote the ‘Serco Way’ to customers, stakeholders, the community and the public, fostering a partnership approach to relationships.
- To provide leadership to a matrix team of key internal stakeholders, such that all understand and adopt the strategy and plans and are motivated to achieve their objectives in a timely and professional manner.
- To develop a deep understanding of the needs of the defence sector across a range of areas to ensure that Serco can develop winning propositions that will delight the customer. In particular to develop “upstream” opportunities and shape opportunities before they reach tender stage to maximise Serco’s ability to win.
- To ensure that the winning contracts are optimally structured, reviewed, managed and operated according to the bid, ensuring country General Managers (GMs) are fully engaged.
- To ensure that all bids are financially viable and that the best financial model is adopted throughout the bid process in order to achieve profit and cash targets meeting corporate and legal requirements.
- To lead and engage in the development of a network of senior relationships with customers, potential customers, partners and stakeholders in order to anticipate and meet customer’s existing and future needs and enhance Serco’s reputation.
- Develop innovative products and services that can be integrated with others from across the business to meet the needs of our chosen and emerging market.
A Place People are Proud to Work:
- To provide support and leadership to the business development team such that all employees are fully engaged with and adopt business strategy/plans and values so that the plans are successfully delivered and our people behave internally and in the communities in which we operate in accordance with the Governing Principles.
- To coordinate at a European level the BD teams in countries. Ensure they share the company’s strategic objectives and that they have clear plan to implement it in country. Support potential recruitment in coordination with the local management.
- Where necessary to recruit, professionally manage and develop outstanding BD employees and to ensure the business opportunities are staffed with talented motivated people who play to their strengths to meet the business needs and are motivated to improve the business.
- Understand, own and be a passionate and proactive role model for our Governing Principles, and ensure that they are fully embedded throughout the business stream.
- Work with other divisions and countries to identify and deliver cross-selling opportunities that benefit Serco as a whole.
- Implement and adhere to Serco’s agreed common processes and systems to maximise value for Serco and the customer.
- To ensure the bids produced ensure our customers receive ethical delivery, effective service and great value.
- Ensure the business delivers a level of service and value that enhances the Serco brand and fosters the development of long-term partnering relationships.
- Identify opportunities to satisfy customer requirements through inter-operability throughout our organisation.
Profitable & Sustainable:
- To deliver the business unit sales target.
- To ensure a business development strategy is in place and deliver the growth aspirations of the contracts in line with the commitment to the Business Unit and divisional targets.
- To ensure effective financial management is in place to deliver the sales target within budget.
In return, we offer a friendly, supportive and professional environment that respects your work/life balance and ultimately contributes to the delivery of public services in Belgium and around the world.
- Excellent knowledge of government and quasi-government sales processes; and it would be advantageous to understand European government sales processes.
- Deep knowledge of the various sales mechanisms available to Government to take an opportunity to market (ITT, Competitive Dialogue, Negotiated Procedure etc).
- Excellent knowledge of how to use company governance processes to translate potential sales opportunities into successfully run and profitable operations.
- Deep knowledge fo military matters and stakes in Europe.
- Excellent understanding of service business.
- Excellent relationship building and stakeholder management skills, at very senior levels within government, OEMs or partner/subcontractors.
- Highly impactful, articulate, with the ability to influence at all levels and with evidence of building and maintaining strong relationships with internal and external customers and key business stakeholders.
- Knowledge/experience of key current and potential stakeholders in the market.
- Strong analytical skills with ability to assimilate information quickly and communicate key messages simply and effectively to the business to aid decision making.
- Sound strategic thinker with the ability to operate with a hands-on, pragmatic approach when required.
- Strongly values led individual with excellent judgement and decision-making skills.
- Self-aware yet highly resilient individual capable of challenging and being challenged.
- Commercially astute and financially aware with proven strategy development and execution capability.
- Extensive experience of successful leadership of marketing, sales, BD and human capital.
- Demonstrated strong communication skills to include interpersonal, written, staff level and executive level business briefings.
- Strongly values led individual with excellent judgement and decision-making skills.
- Self-motivated and self-aware yet highly resilient individual capable of challenging and being challenged.
- Evidence of developing, and executing, a clear strategy for account management which results in increased, profitable, market share.
- Recent and relevant experience of working with key accounts and customers across public sector.
- Strong track record of developing effective collaborations and partnerships and building consensus in cross-cultural and cross-functional environments.
- Experience in the defence sector and/or military background would be beneficial.
- Experience in the field of service business would be well regarded.
- Experience of proactively engaging customers to improve relationships for the long-term and continue to drive value.
- Experience of leading and motivating teams (especially matrix management teams).
Additional / special features of the role
- Support defence growth strategy to 2025
- Travel across Europe is required to deliver the role.
- Ability to develop positive relationships with other regions to call on Serco’s global expertise; at times this may require additional travel, globally.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Corporate Benefits Package
Relocation Assistance (if applicable)
And the chance to make a positive difference in a company passionate about diversity and inclusion.
Further information available from the Serco Europe Recruitment Team
About the Company
Why should you join Serco ?
At Serco not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play.
Meaningful and vital work - You’ll contribute to methodologically intercepting challenges whilst achievements will also be recognised and celebrated.
A world of opportunity - You’ll be wholeheartedly supported with development and career progression
Great people - You’ll become an integral member of a well-defined and supportive team who believe passionately in the value of our work.
What we offer
- Chance to contribute to innovation in the public services sector
- A company passionate about diversity and inclusion
- Permanent employment with comprehensive Serco Benefits package.
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play when managing complex public services.
We are a team of 60,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world, we are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
By joining Serco you will have unlimited access to our Global Employee Networks – SercoInspire (Gender), SercoEmbrace (Multicultural), SercoUnlimited (Disability) and In@Serco (LGBT & Networks). Serco Employee Networks, led by colleagues who are passionate about diversity, inclusion and belonging.
Please click on the apply button to be taken to our careers website
Serco is a Disability Confident Employer committed to employing and retaining people with disabilities. Disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview.
Serco European Agencies