We have an exciting (and challenging) opening for a Database Administrator in The Hague.
Dynamic, Energetic, Entrepreneurial, Highly Motivated, Resilient … If this describes you then we would love to hear from you :)
Discover the offer below and click on ‘Apply’ if you know that your skillset and talents are a suitable match for this opportunity.
- Serco – The employer of choice for a career within the Space Sector.
Serco are a trusted provider of services to National Space Agencies and the European Space Agency (ESA), we have over 40 years’ experience supporting the space sector and providing services for all stages of our customer’s space missions.
- Join our community of space specialists across Europe
We are proud to support the European institutional Space landscape: Serco boasts an extensive network of Space professionals located at our offices in Darmstadt, Noordwijk, Frascati, Paris and Madrid, all within close proximity of our two largest space sector customers, European Space Agency/European Space Operations Centre (ESA/ESOC) and European Organisation for the Exploitation of Meteorological Satellites (EUMETSAT).
- Supporting Women in Aerospace
Diversity and Inclusion is extremely important to us. Supporting women's opportunities, development and visibility in the space sector is key and that is why we are proud members and supporters of Women in Aerospace Europe, a dynamic and global network supporting women's careers in Aerospace.
Women in Aerospace Europe (WIA-E) – Supporting women in STEM (wia-europe.org)
As Database Administrator you will concentrate your activities on the following:
Description of tasks
- To ensure the operations of our Client's Databases and carry out all the tasks necessary to keep them functioning 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The Database Administrator is in charge of the maintenance and technical development necessary to ensure that the Institution's databases function at a satisfactory level of operational quality.
Main activities consist of database engineering, operations, performance and security.
Database Engineering duties:
- Contributing to Designing, Engineering and implementing Database Middleware solutions such Message Queuing Systems, Databases etc.;
- Providing Subject Matter Expertise in the formation of new Database systems;
- Validating Transition Processes to Operations for new Releases;
- Anticipating Database outages by ensuring backups and disaster recovery procedures are tested and validated;
- Supporting and partaking in the procurement process for new Database Systems.
Database operations duties:
- Maintaining the Database environment, including contributing to reporting on the functioning of the Databases;
- Owning and resolving Database and other related Incident Tickets in a 3rd line capacity as required;
- Troubleshooting and investigating application errors/malfunctions;
- Preparing/implementing possible new technical functions, including ensuring that any change is reflected in the appropriate documentation and ITSM processes.
Database performance duties:
- Monitoring Middleware and Database performance;
- Identifying opportunities for Middleware and Database optimisation;
- Supporting the installation of patches and updates to Middleware and Databases when needed;
- Identifying needs regarding automation of testing and testing enhancements;
- Managing capacity and configuration of Middleware and Databases.
Database Security duties:
- Ensuring the Confidentiality, Integrity and Availability of Applications in their care;
- Determining causes of security violations and recommending corrective actions to ensure application security;
- Researching, recommending and implementing changes to procedures and systems of the Agency in order to enhance application security;
- Active monitoring and analysing application access, connectivity and potential threats.
Do you think you are the person we are looking for? See below what experience or knowledge you should bring:
Education, knowledge, skills and experience:
- In addition to the skills needed to perform the above-mentioned tasks and to function in the described work environment the Database Administrator shall have:
- Experience: at least 3 years in Microsoft and /or Linux based Database Management
- Microsoft Database Platforms – MSSQL
- Linux/ MySQL / Postgres
- Expertise in SQL Query and Stored Procedure authoring, troubleshooting and refactoring for efficiency.
- Experience in Installing, Upgrading and Maintaining Independent MSSQL and MSQL Cluster installations.
- IT Server Administration – Windows/Linux – for MSSQL Server
- Backup solutions for Database Solutions and Disaster recovery
- Should have strong communication skills and professional experience in an EU or multicultural environment;
- Good command of the English language as this is the official working language.
- EU Nationality is mandatory.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
What we offer if you join our amazing team:
• Competitive Salary
• Corporate Benefits Package
• Support provided to EU Nationals requiring relocation – Information available upon request
• Company events
About the Company
Why should you join Serco ?
At Serco not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play.
Meaningful and vital work - You’ll contribute to methodologically intercepting challenges whilst achievements will also be recognised and celebrated.
A world of opportunity - You’ll be wholeheartedly supported with development and career progression
Great people - You’ll become an integral member of a well-defined and supportive team who believe passionately in the value of our work.
What we offer
- Chance to contribute to innovation in the public services sector
- A company passionate about diversity and inclusion
- Permanent employment with comprehensive Serco Benefits package.
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play when managing complex public services.
We are a team of 60,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world, we are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
By joining Serco you will have unlimited access to our Global Employee Networks – SercoInspire (Gender), SercoEmbrace (Multicultural), SercoUnlimited (Disability) and In@Serco (LGBT & Networks). Serco Employee Networks, led by colleagues who are passionate about diversity, inclusion and belonging.
Please click on the apply button to be taken to our careers website
Serco is a Disability Confident Employer committed to employing and retaining people with disabilities. Disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview.
Serco European Agencies