Data Systems Engineer
Serco Services GmbH part of the Serco group, A FTSE250, Multi-national Service Provider with over 50,000 employees worldwide.
Serco’s space heritage over the last 40 years has placed us in the Space News Top 50 Space Industry Manufacturing and Services Companies - We work alongside EUMETSAT and the European Space Agency, where we are the largest on-site service provider with ca. 300 staff.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Data Systems Engineer based at ESOC, Darmstadt, Germany.
The position is offered as a fixed-term contract until 30/06/2021.
The successful candidate will concentrate their activities on the following.
- Support the deployment, validation and operations of SSA applications, developed in the context of industrial activities
- Setup, configuration and management of DEVOPS environment for SSA systems, including automation of application deployment solution
- support/contribute to the Programme data management evolution
- On-Site software development for ad-hoc R&D projects, innovation tasks, Lab projects
- Work in close cooperation with the SSA Data System Manager and SSA Data Centre Manager and with the SSA Segment teams, in order to drive innovation through implementing DevOps technologies and championing DevOps culture
- Automating CI/CD processes
- Providing training in usage of CI/CD, container orchestration, and DevOps tools.
- Develop release approach using automated, containerized deployment techniques
- Develop automation scripts, daemons, and APIs to reduce manual steps
- Analyze root causes of issues and provide corrective actions.
- Evaluate new tools and techniques to drive efficiencies.
- Manage Cloud infrastructure services and accounts.
- Keep evolving system and application monitoring infrastructure
- Drive data engineering initiatives and innovation
- Design scale data management products
- Enable and facilitate a data-driven culture for internal and external clients,
- Support S2P Data Centre and System engineers, S2P Data Analyst and SSA Data Scientists (ESCs) with architecting and orchestrating data infrastructures;
- Support Software Development teams with Data, e.g. continuous integration and gradual deployment analytics.
- Identify, evaluate and implement cutting edge big data pipelines and frameworks required to provide requested capabilities to integrate external data sources and APIs
- Familiarity with data integration, transformation and processing from various sources
- Provide architectural support by building Proof of Concepts & Prototypes
- Development and Maintenance of Mission Data Systems
- Specification and management of Software Requirements
- Contractual and technical work for the start of a new MDS project
- Running the MDS software development and maintenance projects
- Support the Management and perform ESOC internal activities related to MDS (deployment, testing, configuration etc…) according to ESOC internal processes.
- Support to Mission’s critical activities
- Support to missions during the whole lifetime
- Review of MIRD and contribution to MIP
- Definition of external and internal interfaces
- Contribution to the SFIRD, GSSRD, GSSTP and review of SGICD
- Support to Ground Segment Reviews
- Support to regular progress meetings with Project and ESOC team
- Support SVT/SOVT/E2E tests and in general FCT activity
- Support mission closure and retirement of SW and HW items
- Support to 3rd Party and Special Projects
- Support the ESA service manager in defining the technical and organisational setup of ESA service, including SLA and costing
- Interact with ESA external 3rd party entities (e.g. EUD, GSA, DLR, NASA, …) under agreement of TR
- Support ESA from data systems perspective towards external entities, in particular to recommend agreement on technical and organisational interfaces
- Coordinate the in-house and industrial data systems team
- Interact with companies of new member states in preparation process for new activities
- Assume the data system architect role for special projects which are not based on reference architecture of ground segments for missions (such as SSA, METERON, IAP)
- Contribute to bring OPS-GD and Data Systems perspective in collaborative projects with other ESA entities, in the context of special projects and future missions (e.g. NAV, TEC, HRE)
- Coordinate the in-house developments of MDS for small missions
- Prepare proposals
- Run approved studies or innovation works
- Organise and coordinate joint projects with other agencies in the context of standardisation (e.g. interoperability testing, prototyping)
- Support ESA as a member of international Standardisation working groups
- Support to study, innovation and standardisation
The ideal candidate should bring the following skills and experience:
- Demonstrated experience applying good DevOps principles
- Experience with Agile Scrum methodology;
- Good knowledge of API-driven, extensible, loosely coupled systems
- Good knowledge of automation, security, stability and scalability in private and public cloud environments.
- Hands-on experience in using and operating Docker and container orchestration technologies such as Kubernetes and Helm, as well as build systems such as Gitlab-CI, Jenkins, Automation technologies (in particular Chef)
- Knowledge of the SSA systems, in particular in the area of Space Weather would be an important asset;
- Knowledge of advanced application deployment automation solutions (containers, Chef) and public and private Cloud environments is an asset.
- project management
- software engineering experience
- experience with development and maintenance of big software projects
- requirements management (knowledge of tools, e.g. doors)
- knowledge of SSA systems
- knowledge of ESOC infrastructure
- knowledge of ESOC operational environment
- knowledge of Standards (Engineering and Quality)
- awareness of the technology trends and interest in R&T
- fluent spoken and written English
- Strong team spirit and attitude to share information
- Cooperative attitude with team members (rather than competitive)
- The ability to capture the bigger picture and the system context
- Good communication skills
- capability of adapting to circumstances
- openness and reliability
- independence in working on own tasks
- negotiation capabilities
- ability to interface with several different areas/people in ESOC
- capability to establish and maintain good working relationships with Industry and SSA Segment team
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Highly competitive salary
Corporate Benefits Package
Relocation Assistance (if applicable)
Further information available from the Serco Europe Recruitment Team
About the Company
Serco is one of the world’s largest providers of public services, employing over 50,000 people in over 20 countries.
We work closely with the European Government Institutions & Space Agencies providing crucial Services with over 300 staff members.
The services we provide are often of critical importance to the communities and nations we serve, Providing public services is one of the most satisfying and rewarding careers you can have, you have an ability to make a real positive difference to people’s lives and to your community and country.
As a business which delivers “front-line” public services, employing tens of thousands of people, we are constantly developing and promoting people; our need for skilled professionals is insatiable and few companies can offer as many opportunities for individuals to grow their careers
What connects the ever growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service – To keep ahead we have to constantly evolve and enhance the way we deliver our services and everyone in Serco has a role to play here.
Serco provide the right environment to encourage ideas and a comprehensive Best Practice support network that enables them to put their ideas into action.
If you share our values then join with over 50,000 colleagues globally who are equally as passionate about delivering great service as you
A career with Serco offers the chance to work with both inspirational people and innovative contracts, in a dynamic and exciting environment.
We have a mandate to execute brilliantly and our people lead and inspire based on our core values, Trust, Care, Pride and Innovation.
Take pride in what you do.
Serco European Agencies