Data Systems Engineer
Serco Services GmbH, part of the Serco group, A FTSE250, Multi-national Service Provider with over 50,000 employees worldwide.
Serco’s space heritage over the last 40 years has placed us in the Space News Top 50 Space Industry Manufacturing and Services Companies - We work alongside EUMETSAT and the European Space Agency, where we are the largest on-site service provider with ca. 300 staff.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Data Systems Engineer based at ESOC, Darmstadt, Germany.
The Key Person should concentrate on the following activities:
He/she is responsible for the definition, implementation, acceptance and maintenance of data systems for service provision data centres (e.g. for SSA, IAP) and for special projects (e.g. Meteron, cubesats, cloud computing, prototypes to validate new technologies, support to standardisation and R&D) . The following main tasks are involved:
- specification of the software requirements of these systems in collaboration with the operational users
- definition and specification of their internal and external interfaces in agreement with the relevant parties
- acceptance of the deliverables received from industry, ensuring correctness, completeness and compliance to the applicable requirements
- support to the operations staff as required in the various operational phases
- coordination with other internal or external units, e.g. with the unit supplying mission data systems infrastructure and with the unit supplying the necessary hardware, networks and related services
- participation in research and development and standardisation activities in the area of mission data systems.
The ideal candidate should bring the following skills and experience:
- At least 3 years of experience in the similar role.
- University degree in Software Engineering, Informatics or a related subject
- Development and maintenance of Mission Data Systems - Demonstrated experience applying DevOps tools and techniques
- Engineering experience in Service Provision Data Centre and Advanced Software Applications development
- Competence in one or more modern computer languages such as C, C++, Java, UML, XML, SQL, depending on the requirements of the work - familiarity with the software development environments and systems, including DOORS
- Familiarity with relevant operating systems, including LINUX
- Knowledge on relevant space related standards, i.e ECSS or CCSDS
- Knowledge on recent new technologies and their application (e.g. virtualisation, cloud computing, virtualisation, service oriented architecture)
- Knowledge and experience in the ESOC software engineering methodology
- Strong interpersonal skills, self-motivation and ability to work in a team
- Fluent spoken and written English.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Highly competitive salary
Corporate Benefits Package
Relocation Assistance (if applicable)
Further information available from the Serco Europe Recruitment Team
About the Company
Serco is one of the world’s largest providers of public services, employing over 50,000 people in over 20 countries.
We work closely with the European Government Institutions & Space Agencies providing crucial Services with over 300 staff members.
The services we provide are often of critical importance to the communities and nations we serve, Providing public services is one of the most satisfying and rewarding careers you can have, you have an ability to make a real positive difference to people’s lives and to your community and country.
As a business which delivers “front-line” public services, employing tens of thousands of people, we are constantly developing and promoting people; our need for skilled professionals is insatiable and few companies can offer as many opportunities for individuals to grow their careers
What connects the ever growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service – To keep ahead we have to constantly evolve and enhance the way we deliver our services and everyone in Serco has a role to play here.
Serco provide the right environment to encourage ideas and a comprehensive Best Practice support network that enables them to put their ideas into action.
If you share our values then join with over 50,000 colleagues globally who are equally as passionate about delivering great service as you
A career with Serco offers the chance to work with both inspirational people and innovative contracts, in a dynamic and exciting environment.
We have a mandate to execute brilliantly and our people lead and inspire based on our core values, Trust, Care, Pride and Innovation.
Take pride in what you do.
Serco European Agencies