Software Engineer (Web Services)
Serco is a specialist at delivering vital services on behalf of European, National and Local Governments.
Serco Europe employ’s a large workforce in Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Switzerland, Germany, Holland, Spain, Italy and the UK.
Our European operations have ca. 2,000 employees delivering critical services to public institutions throughout Europe.
For our activities in EUMETSAT, we are currently looking for a Software Engineer.
The Key Person shall provide support to the maintenance, evolution and development of the Data Services systems, with special focus on the maintenance and evolution of the EPS Programme Specific Dissemination System which encompass data activities such as data reception, formatting, conversion, distribution and dissemination, transferring, and also data flows monitoring, control, and reporting.
In particular, the tasks include the following ones, with a particular focus on the maintenance activities and operational support of EPS Dissemination System, and on translation of its technical requirements of evolutions into appropriate technical design and implementation:
- Requirements Analysis:
- Interaction with relevant Operations Teams to include operational requirements.
- Interaction with data producers and consumers for possible requirement updates.
- Determine the operational, maintenance, and evolution needs of data dissemination.
- Definition of data dissemination systems and software requirements.
- Software corrections and evolutions.
- Support to the data dissemination design architecture definition.
- Identification, procurement or implementation of tools.
- Design, implementation and maintenance of data dissemination data-flows.
- Regression testing for corrections and evolutions.
- Acceptance of external software.
- Integration Verification & Validation (IV&V) activities of data dissemination systems.
- Support to the Ground Segment IV&V activities.
- Operational Support of the Data Dissemination System:
- Monitoring the performance and behaviour.
- Problem investigation and anomaly raising.
- Second line support and corrections.
- Configuration and installation of software.
- Support the delivery of software externally developed:
- Communication with external contractors.
- Software reception, installation, configuration and testing.
- Generation and maintenance of technical documentation:
- System and Software Requirements.
- Architectural Design.
- Interface Control Documents.
- Test Plans and Test Cases.
- Maintenance and Operational Procedures for operational systems.
- Participation and organisation of technical meetings and formal reviews.
- Preparation and production of routine reports as necessary.
In the performance of the activities the Key Person shall follow the relevant change control and maintenance procedures.
The Ideal Candidate
In addition to having a University degree (or equivalent) in a relevant engineering discipline, the Key Person must have previous hands-on experience with Web Services.
Furthermore, the Key Person shall have the following skills and at least 3 years experience in these areas:
- Provision of support for operational systems, which includes the monitoring of the performance, problem investigation, coordination of resolutions;
- Operation and maintenance in a 24/7 operational environment.
- Knowledge of C/C++, Java, and operating system scripting languages;
- Unix Operating Systems;
- System level and network programming (TCP/IP) and distributed applications;
- Data Transfer Protocols (such as FTP);
- XML technology;
- Relational Databases (preferably Oracle or MySQL);
- Source Code Control Systems (preferably SubVersion);
- Configuration Control;
- Formalised Software Testing;
- Unix Operating Systems.
Documentation and Software Configuration Management
- Using software configuration management, anomaly reporting and tracking tools;
- Very good, proven, writing skills of technical documentation.
The working language for the position is English and therefore the Key Person must be able to work effectively in this language.
All applicants must hold a current valid work permit for Germany or be EU nationals.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
For positions located within the Darmstadt Support Office please note that only applicants with no family affiliation within the Company will be considered.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Full details on application.
Relocation assistance provided (if applicable).
About the Company
Serco Services GmbH, part of the Serco group, A FTSE250, Multi-national Service Provider with over 60,000 employees worldwide.
Serco’s space heritage over the last 40 years has placed us in the Space News Top 50 Space Industry Manufacturing and Services Companies - We work alongside EUMETSAT and the European Space Agency, where we are the largest on-site service provider with ca. 300 staff.
What connects the ever growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service – To keep ahead we have to constantly evolve and enhance the way we deliver our services and everyone in Serco has a role to play here.
Serco provide the right environment to encourage ideas and a comprehensive Best Practice support network that enables them to put their ideas into action.
If you share our values then join with over 60,000 colleagues globally who are equally as passionate about delivering great service as you
Serco European Agencies