At Serco not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play, from caring for vulnerable people to managing complex public services.
We are a team of 50,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world, we are innovators,committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
Serco and Proud - Make a difference every day.
Please note this opportunity is subject to contract award
Here at Serco we’re looking for a Cook to join our established business in Belgium.
You’ll play a key part in supporting the marine research team on ‘Belgica II’, the new Federal research vessel of the Belgian government.
Join our team as we embark on this new Belgian project where we will support marine research and scientific projects.
The key person will be responsible for:
- Compiling varied and properly balanced daily menus for all personnel on board, taking into account ethnic requirements of personnel.
- Preparation of meals and attendance in the galley at mealtimes.
- Requisitioning all provisions and cabin stores after submitting the same to the Master for approval.
- Supervising and tallying when storing provisions.
- Maintaining ‘Victualling accounts’.
- Maintaining ‘List of Laundry’ and supervising landing/recovery of laundry.
- Conducting weekly inspections of all accommodation, galley, and storerooms together with the Master.
- Issuing of Bond and Canteen as and when directed/permitted by the Master.
- Maintenance of medical locker and stores to Statutory and Company scales.
- Preparing voyage accommodation Defect Reports for submission through the Chief Engineer.
- Assisting Master with the preparation of confidential reports for Catering Department personnel
- Security duties as described in the ‘Ship Security Plan’.
- Observe any reasonable instruction from the Master that he may request that is not covered by the above duties.
- Cleaning of all areas under his responsibility.
- Maintenance of galley equipment in co-operation with other Officers.
- Control of fridges and storerooms.
- Keeping stock control of all provisions.
- Ordering of provisions.
- Observe all applicable regulations in respect of safe working practices and pollution prevention.
- Perform other duties as required by the Master.
The key person should have:
- MLC 2006 Ship’s Cook Certificate
completed the following Standards of Training Certification and Watchkeeping (STCW) basic safety courses
- Personal Survival Techniques (STCW Code A-VI/1-1)
- Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting (STCW Code A-VI/1-2)
- Elementary First Aid (STCW Code A-VI/1-3)
- Personal Safety and Social Responsibility (STCW Code A-VI/1-4)
- Security Awareness
- Unrestricted Medical Fitness Certificate
- Valid Passport
- Methodical in approach
- Position is only open to Nationals who are also residents of a Member State of the European Economic Area and of Switzerland.
- You will be subject to a security check carried out by the competent Defence services.
- Working language of the ship is English
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Corporate Benefits Package
Relocation Assistance (if applicable)
Further information available from the Serco Europe Recruitment Team
About the Company
Why should you join Serco ?
At Serco not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play.
Meaningful and vital work - You’ll contribute to methodologically intercepting challenges whilst achievements will also be recognised and celebrated.
A world of opportunity - You’ll be wholeheartedly supported with development and career progression
Great people - You’ll become an integral member of a well-defined and supportive team. who believe passionately in the value of our work.
What we offer
- Chance to contribute to innovation in the public services sector
- A company passionate about diversity and inclusion
- Permanent employment with comprehensive Serco Benefits package.
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play when managing complex public services.
We are a team of 50,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world, we are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
By joining Serco you will have unlimited access to our Global Employee Networks – SercoInspire (Gender), SercoEmbrace (Multicultural), SercoUnlimited (Disability) and In@Serco (LGBT & Networks). Serco Employee Networks, led by colleagues who are passionate about diversity, inclusion and belonging.
Please click on the apply button to be taken to our careers website
Serco is a Disability Confident Employer committed to employing and retaining people with disabilities. Disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview.
Serco European Agencies