At Serco not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play, from caring for vulnerable people to managing complex public services.
We are a team of 50,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world, we are innovators,committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
Serco and Proud - Make a difference every day.
Please note this opportunity is subject to contract award
We’re looking for a Catering Rating to join our established business in Belgium.
You’ll play a key part in supporting the marine research team on ‘Belgica II’, the new Federal research vessel of the Belgian government.
Join our team as we embark on this new Belgian project where we will support marine research and scientific projects.
The key person will be responsible for:
- Assisting in the galley with the preparation of food and at mealtimes serving the same for all personnel on board, taking into account ethnic requirements of personnel.
- Cleaning of all areas under his /her responsibility.
- Maintenance of galley equipment in co-operation with other Officers.
- Keeping the galley, service areas and storerooms are always clean and tidy.
- Observing good food hygiene practices together with sound health and safety practices and ensuring that others do the same in areas under his control.
- Ensuring that stoves are switched off when the galley is unattended for any length of time and arranging for the Electrician/Engineers to isolate the same overnight.
- Carrying out the baking requirements.
- Keeping stock control of all provisions.
- Inspecting stock regularly
- Disposing of galley waste and storeroom rubbish in the prescribed manner.
- Control of fridges and storerooms.
- Stocking and cleaning the pantries.
- Assist in the loading and stowing of stores.
- Assist in the issuing of Canteen and Bond.
- Assist in the sorting and changing of linen.
- To observe all applicable regulations in respect of safe working practices and pollution prevention.
- Security duties as described in the ‘Ship Security Plan’.
- To ensure the preparation of mess rooms for meals, serving meals, maintenance of hygiene in the accommodation areas.
- Cleaning accommodation, alleyways and stairways as directed by the Cook/Steward to ensure an even workload.
- Cleaning, setting tables and serving at mealtimes.
- To perform other duties as required by the Master.
The key person should have:
- MLC 2006 Ship’s Cook Certificate
Completed the following Standards of Training Certification and Watchkeeping (STCW) basic safety courses:
- Personal Survival Techniques (STCW Code A-VI/1-1)
- Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting (STCW Code A-VI/1-2)
- Elementary First Aid (STCW Code A-VI/1-3)
- Personal Safety and Social Responsibility (STCW Code A-VI/1-4)
- Security Awareness
- Unrestricted Medical Fitness Certificate
- Valid Passport
- Methodical in approach
- Position is only open to Nationals who are also residents of a Member State of the European Economic Area and of Switzerland.
- You will be subject to a security check carried out by the competent Defence services.
- Working language of the ship is English
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Corporate Benefits Package
Relocation Assistance (if applicable)
Further information available from the Serco Europe Recruitment Team
About the Company
Why should you join Serco ?
At Serco not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play.
Meaningful and vital work - You’ll contribute to methodologically intercepting challenges whilst achievements will also be recognised and celebrated.
A world of opportunity - You’ll be wholeheartedly supported with development and career progression
Great people - You’ll become an integral member of a well-defined and supportive team. who believe passionately in the value of our work.
What we offer
- Chance to contribute to innovation in the public services sector
- A company passionate about diversity and inclusion
- Permanent employment with comprehensive Serco Benefits package.
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play when managing complex public services.
We are a team of 50,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world, we are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
By joining Serco you will have unlimited access to our Global Employee Networks – SercoInspire (Gender), SercoEmbrace (Multicultural), SercoUnlimited (Disability) and In@Serco (LGBT & Networks). Serco Employee Networks, led by colleagues who are passionate about diversity, inclusion and belonging.
Please click on the apply button to be taken to our careers website
Serco is a Disability Confident Employer committed to employing and retaining people with disabilities. Disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview.
Serco European Agencies