At Serco not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play, from caring for vulnerable people to managing complex public services.
We are a team of 50,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world, we are innovators,committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
Serco and Proud - Make a difference every day.
In anticipation of an upcoming contract award Serco are looking to recruit a Bosun.
The key person will be responsible for:
- Responsible for the safe execution/compliance of each deck task in accordance with (to include but not limited to considering):
- Vessel Operating Procedures
- Code of Safe Working Practices
- Vessel or task specific Risk Assessments
- COSHH Assessments
- Support the Chief Officer to operate the deck in a professional, effective and economic manner - always in adherence to Serco, Flag State, Classification Society, ISPS and ISM policies/procedures.
- Instruct work tasks to deck ratings and report timely completion in support of vessel safe operation and planned or emergent maintenance.
- Perform vessel specific watches and duties (i.e. look-out or gangway responsibilities) as per the watch/station bill or as directed by Chief Officer.
- Responsible for the cleanliness and upkeep of the vessel.
- Supervise deck ratings for all activities carried out by the department unless relieved by a superior officer.
- Account for the use of and maintain ready stocks of consumable deck stores. Liaise with Chief Officer for requisitions.
- Accountable for identifying test dates of all lifting gear and presenting for test at the appropriate time to Chief Officer.
- Responsible for cleanliness of accommodation and working spaces, Bridge and passageways other than those cleaned and maintained by catering department.
- Report equipment defects to the Chief Officer.
- Roster deck ratings to deliver adequate continuous coverage for Bridge Watchkeeping and required in-port duties, ensuring that these duties are carried out in accordance with Standing Orders
- Routinely monitor safe access/egress to the vessel throughout any duty period.
- Responsible to the Chief Officer for disposal/control of garbage management in accordance with the vessel Garbage Management Plan.
- Oversee and assist with storing and loading victuals and deck stores to the vessel.
- Be familiar with safety routines and ensure necessary safeguards are in place before any work commences. Conduct toolbox talks for any personnel involved in deck tasks.
- The Bosun will be a member of the Ship’s Management/Safety Committees and attend the respective meetings meetings as well as the vessel’s plan of the day.
- Familiar with vessel/site/company safety management procedures - specifically:
- Serco waste disposal procedures
- Ship’s Management Committee
- Ships Safety Committee
The Bosun will fulfil any other reasonable task required by the managers and/or owners.
The key person should have:
- Valid Certificate of Competency as Able Seafarer (Deck) (STCW II/5)
- Personal Survival Techniques (A-VI/1-1) (Updated within 5 years)
- Fire Fighting and Fire Prevention (A-VI/1-2) (Updated within 5 years)
- Proficiency in Survival Craft & Rescue Boats (A-VI/2-1) (Updated within 5 years)
- Elementary First Aid (A-VI/1-3)
• Position is only open to Nationals who are also residents of a Member State of the European Economic Area and of Switzerland.
• You will be subject to a security check carried out by the competent Defence services.
• Working language of the ship is English
- Personal Safety and Social Responsibility (A-VI/1-4)
- Proficiency in Security Awareness (A-VI/6-1)
- Unrestricted Medical Fitness Certificate
- Valid Passport
- Methodical in approach
- Good standard of education
- Experience of vessel specific tasks
- Experience of communicating and influencing
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Corporate Benefits Package
Relocation Assistance (if applicable)
Further information available from the Serco Europe Recruitment Team
About the Company
Serco is one of the world’s largest providers of public services to Governments employing over 50,000 people in over 20 countries In Belgium and Luxembourg we work closely with the European Institutions providing crucial Services with over 220 staff members.
The services we provide are often of critical importance to the communities and nations we serve, Providing public services is one of the most satisfying and rewarding careers you can have, you have an ability to make a real positive difference to people’s lives and to your community and country.
As a business which delivers “front-line” public services, employing tens of thousands of people, we are constantly developing and promoting people; our need for skilled professionals is insatiable and few companies can offer as many opportunities for individuals to grow their careers
What connects the ever growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service – To keep ahead we have to constantly evolve and enhance the way we deliver our services and everyone in Serco has a role to play here.
Serco provide the right environment to encourage ideas and a comprehensive Best Practice support network that enables them to put their ideas into action.
If you share our values then join with over 50,000 colleagues globally who are equally as passionate about delivering great service as you
A career with Serco offers the chance to work with both inspirational people and innovative contracts, in a dynamic and exciting environment.
We have a mandate to execute brilliantly and our people lead and inspire based on our core values, Trust, Care, Pride and Innovation.
Take pride in what you do.
Serco European Agencies