Biomass PDGS L2 Engineering Support (ESS-A1-V3-2021)
At Serco, we strive to promote and enable the diversity, development, wellbeing and safety of our people. We understand that healthier, happier employees go hand-in-hand with strong business performance, enhanced productivity and better outcomes for those we serve. We want everybody who works for Serco to have a positive experience and access to opportunities to develop in their chosen careers.
Dedicated to the European Space Agency’s Earth-observing activities, ESA-ESRIN is the European centre of excellence for exploitation of Earth observation missions. The mission and payload operations of ESA's Earth observation satellites are managed here, and ESRIN is the primary source for the acquisition, distribution, and exploitation of data from these and other non-ESA satellites.
Serco Italy has a long history of providing Earth Observation operations, maintenance and front-end services to ESA. To provide continual service improvement, Serco has recently introduced a special focus on evolution and innovation, with the aim of supporting ESA in further evolving the services and products.
Does working in a Serco environment sound appealing to you?
We would love to hear from you and your interest in the new opportunity of Payload Data Ground Segment Senior Engineer in Frascati !
The position is in support of the EarthCARE and BIOMASS missions. The challenging role provide technical expertise to support the PDGS Manager in all tasks related to the operational L2 processors and algorithms, development and maintenance as well as instrument calibration and performance monitoring and L2 data quality. The support is intended to be provided from phase C/D to phase E1 and possibly during phase E2.
The role encompasses both support to the management of the evolutions and maintenance of the processors as well as technical expertise.
The scope of the activity encompasses:
- Support to L2 processor sub-systems development, validation and testing
- Support to Instrument Calibration and Monitoring Facility development, validation and testing
- Support to the integration of L2 processor sub-systems into the PDGS
- Support to the definition of the quality control and instrument performance monitoring concept for the L2 products
- Support to the L2 products format specification.
- Support to the Cal/Val activities planning and implementation
Does this vacancy not suit your profile? Not to worry, you can send your updated CV to email@example.com – a member of our Recruitment Team will come back to you shortly after.
- Management Support:
- Preparation/Maintenance of L2 and Cal/Val managerial documentation (e.g. implementation plans)
- Coordination of industries in charge of L2 algorithm sub-systems development and L2 product quality related activities
- Reviews within L2 and Cal/Val related projects
- Planning and Preparation of documentation for the phase E2 L2 related data quality activities (including L2 processor maintenance and evolution as well as product validation and monitoring)
- Support the PDGS Project for the acceptance level 2 Processors
- Review of documentation from various sources: ESA, Industry, Cal/Val community
- Participation to Ground Segment Reviews and PDGS reviews organized either by ESA or by Industry
- Support to the PDGS Integration and Validation and Ground Segment Validation phases addressing the PDGS Level 2 processors:
- Management of the review item discrepancies, system or software problem reports and action linked to L2 and Cal/Val activities
- Generation of technical notes whenever needed during the relevant project phases
- Operations of the various supporting tools for the part relevant to L2 and Cal/Val related activities (e.g. Documentation Management System and Action Tracking)
- Support for operators training and preparation of operational documentation for the phase E2 data quality management
- Support for definition and documentation of the PDGS Commissioning
- Implementation Plan and procedures for the relevant PDGS sub-systems
- Support for the preparation of the launch and the implementation of rehearsal activities for Cal/Val and L2 applications
- Support to the definition of ICMF Operations, monitoring and reporting during commissioning related to level 2 products
- Support to definition of monitoring concept and associated monitoring database for level 2 products
- Support to the definition of quality reports for the level 2 products
- Quality control results analysis and reporting during commissioning
- Definition and evolution of products Quality Control and Instruments Monitoring baselines
- Support for processing algorithms definition and review
- Support for calibration strategy and algorithms definition and review
- Support to products format definition
- Participation to the Mission Advisory Groups and Quality Working Groups
- Ad-hoc development of tools for the accomplishment of the PDGS sub-systems engineering, testing and validation, etc.
- Workshop planning
- You will be requested to travel on mission.
Activity required skills
- University degree or equivalent qualification, preferably in engineering or Remote Sensing
- Good English technical writing and speaking skills
- Good team player
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Joining Serco Italy’s amazing team offers:
- Competitive Salary
- Great career opportunities in the Space industry
- Competitive Salary
- Corporate Benefits Package
- Exciting relocation package (if applicable)
- Company events
- International environment
About the Company
Why should you join Serco ?
At Serco not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play.
Meaningful and vital work - You’ll contribute to methodologically intercepting challenges whilst achievements will also be recognised and celebrated.
A world of opportunity - You’ll be wholeheartedly supported with development and career progression
Great people - You’ll become an integral member of a well-defined and supportive team who believe passionately in the value of our work.
What we offer
- Chance to contribute to innovation in the public services sector
- A company passionate about diversity and inclusion
- Permanent employment with comprehensive Serco Benefits package.
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play when managing complex public services.
We are a team of 50,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world, we are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
By joining Serco you will have unlimited access to our Global Employee Networks – SercoInspire (Gender), SercoEmbrace (Multicultural), SercoUnlimited (Disability) and In@Serco (LGBT & Networks). Serco Employee Networks, led by colleagues who are passionate about diversity, inclusion and belonging.
Please click on the apply button to be taken to our careers website
Serco is a Disability Confident Employer committed to employing and retaining people with disabilities. Disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview.
Serco European Agencies