Application Architect (3753, L5)
At Serco not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play, from caring for vulnerable people to managing complex public services.
We are a team of 50,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world, we are innovators,committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
Serco and Proud - Make a difference every day.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for an Application Architect, based in Ispra, Italy.
- Design, develop, document, test, and maintain a conformity test tool for the CISE interoperability specifications, which will help the Member States’ public authorities to embark in the CISE environment;
- Design, develop, document, test, and maintain several CISE adaptors to allow the existing Member States’ legacy systems to connect to the CISE network;
- Design, develop, document, test, and maintain a set of existing prototypes of CISE building blocks improving the current implementation and developing the missing features;
- Identify new requirements for the CISE interoperability specifications and building blocks;
- Update the technical specifications of the CISE building blocks;
- Prototype (design, develop and test) new software components that could fulfil the new requirements identified.
- Research new trending technologies (preferably open source) to improve/evolve the existing software solutions;
- Contribute with expertise, innovative ideas and solutions to improve the software architecture of the IT systems, seeking better performance, scalability and maintainability;
- Assess the feasibility of reusing software component implemented by other European Programmes;
- Draft and contribute to official and technical documents both addressed to an internal audience and occasionally to Public Authorities’ representatives.
The Ideal Candidate
Knowledge and skills
- 10+ years of experience in development or architectural role;
- 5+ years of experience as Java software developer with excellent software design and clean code principles;
- Solid experience in designing and developing service-oriented architectures using microservices;
- Solid experience in designing and documenting IT systems and data models using UML diagrams;
- Solid experience in designing and implementing APIs (e.g., RESTful Architectures, SOAP Services, gRPC, API Gateways);
- Good knowledge of message queuing systems (e.g. RabbitMQ, ActiveMQ, Kafka);
- Excellent knowledge of development methodologies, in particular, lifecycle management, system integration, bug tracking, version control (including the software supporting these methodologies, e.g., git, Jira, Confluence, etc.);
- Experience with Relational DBMS;
- Knowledge of information security concepts, including PKI infrastructures (e.g. signature, encryption, openSSL, certificates, etc.);
- Solid experience of Java IDEs (e.g., IntelliJ IDEA) and build tools (Maven, Gradle, etc.);
- Solid experience in CI/CD tools and technologies;
- Solid experience in Test-Driven Development and agile practices;
- Experience with GNU/Linux operative systems or other UNIX environments;
- Knowledge of one or more of the following virtualisation, containerization and automation technologies: Ansible, VMWare, KVM, Docker, Kubernetes, etc.;
- Good knowledge of one or more of the following data definition languages: XML/XSD, JSON.
- Excellent written and verbal language skills in English (in order to draft technical documents and to interact with English-speaking stakeholders);
- Passion for learning new technologies and tools;
- Customer orientation and agile mind-set;
- Teamwork skills;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
For positions located within the Darmstadt Support Office please note that only applicants with no family affiliation within the Company will be considered.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Corporate Benefits Package
Relocation Assistance (if applicable)
Further information available from the Serco Europe Recruitment Team
About the Company
Serco is one of the world’s largest providers of public services to Governments employing over 50,000 people in over 20 countries In Belgium and Luxembourg we work closely with the European Institutions providing crucial Services with over 220 staff members.
The services we provide are often of critical importance to the communities and nations we serve, Providing public services is one of the most satisfying and rewarding careers you can have, you have an ability to make a real positive difference to people’s lives and to your community and country.
As a business which delivers “front-line” public services, employing tens of thousands of people, we are constantly developing and promoting people; our need for skilled professionals is insatiable and few companies can offer as many opportunities for individuals to grow their careers
What connects the ever growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service – To keep ahead we have to constantly evolve and enhance the way we deliver our services and everyone in Serco has a role to play here.
Serco provide the right environment to encourage ideas and a comprehensive Best Practice support network that enables them to put their ideas into action.
If you share our values then join with over 50,000 colleagues globally who are equally as passionate about delivering great service as you
A career with Serco offers the chance to work with both inspirational people and innovative contracts, in a dynamic and exciting environment.
We have a mandate to execute brilliantly and our people lead and inspire based on our core values, Trust, Care, Pride and Innovation.
Take pride in what you do.
Serco European Agencies