Altimetry Satellite Ice Cryosat Scientist
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play, from caring for vulnerable people to managing complex public services.
We are a team of 50,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world, we are innovators,committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
Serco and Proud - Make a difference every day.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a CryoSat Mission Geophysicist, based in Frascati (Italy).
Within the Data Quality and Algorithm Management Office, the post-holder will join the Quality Assurance For Earth Observation (QA4EO) contract, directly responding to the Area Manager with the objective of coordinating and managing of CryoSat related Teams and Projects for data quality, scientific validation and altimetry processing algorithm evolutions over the Land-ice, the Sea-Ice and the Ocean surfaces as well as over Coastal zones.
The post-holder will focus on the below main responsibilities:
• Support the investigation of instrument anomalies and analysis related to the CryoSat geophysical products including the development of Quality Control and Validation tools as well as the use of the ESA MiniPDS;
• Provide scientific advice on the quality of the current processing algorithms and their evolution
• Support to CryoSat full reprocessing campaigns associated to new ice and ocean processing base-lines (GOP, ICE)
• Contribute to the management of the CryoSat quality-related support contracts including the review of contractual deliverables and drafting of technical documents (e.g. new SoW and change requests)
• Support the definition, development and implementation of new R&D activities dealing with the validations and emerging scientific/operational applications of CryoSat data products
• Assist the management of the Cryosat Quality Working Group and related scientific support;
• Support CryoSat communication activities (e.g. web stories, ESA publications, scientific papers, etc.), contributing to the presentations and posters in international conferences (EGU, AGU, OSTST, LPS etc.) and workshops, contribute to the co-organisation and co-chairing of CryoSat/Polar-related conferences
• Interface between ESA/ESRIN, the Scientific Community and CryoSat experts and other Space/Operational agencies regarding the quality and exploitation of the CryoSat data products for both Ice and Ocean surfaces.
• Support the generation of periodical service reports, documenting the activities performed
The successful Candidate will bring:
Applicants should have a high level of self-motivation, the capability to work effectively in a team and autonomously, and have excellent organisation skills. A strong proactive attitude is required in identifying problems and proposing solutions.
Mandatory knowledge and experience requisites are:
• University degree, or equivalent, in physics or engineering or a related discipline.
• Good background in the field of satellite radar altimetry
• Experience in satellite data processing & handling;
• Development of utilities for supporting the analysis of large set of data and data visualization
Mandatory requisites are:
• Hands-on experience with altimetry validation methods and scientific analysis of in situ data;
• Hands-on experience with ocean ice and multimission satellite polar data;
• Good knowledge of altimeter missions and their applications;
• Good oral and written communication;
• Spatial, temporal and other statistical analyses of EO data in particular Altimetric data;
• Scientific publication and reporting (including oral presentations) of results;
• Good Working proficiency in English.
• Good scientific programming skills (e.g. Matlab, IDL, C, Pyton or Fortran);
In addition, the candidate shall have:
• Attitude to follow guidelines and to require minimum supervision, proactively requesting help when needed
• Ability to plan and report and to work to deadline.
Ability to follow different concurrent activities
• Attitude to be propositive in suggesting new opportunities of research or solutions leading to scientific improvements of satellite data quality
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Make a difference everyday.
At Serco everyone has an important role to play. Take pride in what you do.
What we offer if you join our amazing team:
• Competitive Salary
• Company events
• Performance Management
• International environment
About the Company
Serco is one of the world’s largest providers of public services to Governments employing over 50,000 people in over 20 countries In Belgium and Luxembourg we work closely with the European Institutions providing crucial Services with over 220 staff members.
The services we provide are often of critical importance to the communities and nations we serve, providing public services is one of the most satisfying and rewarding careers you can have, you have an ability to make a real positive difference to people’s lives and to your community and country.
As a business which delivers “front-line” public services, employing tens of thousands of people, we are constantly developing and promoting people; our need for skilled professionals is insatiable and few companies can offer as many opportunities for individuals to grow their careers
What connects the ever growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service – To keep ahead we have to constantly evolve and enhance the way we deliver our services and everyone in Serco has a role to play here.
Serco provide the right environment to encourage ideas and a comprehensive Best Practice support network that enables them to put their ideas into action.
If you share our values then join with over 50,000 colleagues globally who are equally as passionate about delivering great service as you
A career with Serco offers the chance to work with both inspirational people and innovative contracts, in a dynamic and exciting environment.
We have a mandate to execute brilliantly and our people lead and inspire based on our core values, Trust, Care, Pride and Innovation.
Take pride in what you do.
Serco European Agencies