AOCS Engineer (RT-C/TEC-SAS/00646)
Do you have a strong background in electronics (digital, analogue or both), and previous design experience? You could be our new AOCS Engineer. Come join Serco team at the European Space Agency.
Serco is among the leading Space Industry and Services Companies. We have over 40 years’ experience in supporting the space sector: Since the creation of the European Space Agency (ESA), our employees have been providing everyday their technical, scientific and management skills to support the full range of European cornerstone space missions.
As AOCS Engineer you will be responsible of the below tasks:
- Support to the ESTEC AOCS/GNC Sensors Unit (as AOCS/GNC Sensors Engineer) for the development and procurement of sensors and actuators. The Sensors Unit is in charge of gyroscopes, accelerometers, star trackers, APS detectors for star trackers, sun sensors, magnetic sensors and actuators, and bespoke GNC sensors such as navigation cameras, 3D cameras or Lidars for GNC. The right candidate will have access to the Sensors Lab, where technologies can be independently characterised
- Provide regular Technical Reporting of the Hardware Development as well as contribute in the preparation and execution of project and technology studies reviews
This role will also cover engineering support activities in the following areas:
- Definition and implementation of AOCS (Attitude and Orbit Control Systems) for Earth Observation, Telecom, Navigation satellites and for Astronomy Observatories. The functional support provided to these projects (e.g. Sentinel, Earth Care, MTG, Alphasat, Small GEO, Galileo, GAIA, Solar Orbiter, …) includes:
- Participation to project reviews (SRR, PDR CDR, …).
- AOCS design, analyses and simulations (control loops design and modelling, FDIR, independent simulator set-up, functional verification and performance budgets).
- Review of AOCS SW implementation.
- Sensors and actuators selection and procurement support.
- AIV/AIT support (test benches, review of test plans and test results).
- Operations support (review of Operations Manual, rehearsal and LEOP)
- Support to in-orbit analysis.
- Conception, initialisation and supervision of corresponding enabling AOCS technology R/D: High Accuracy Pointing, Generic AOCS Architecture & Building Blocks, Innovative AOCS & FDIR Solutions including prototyping and tools development.
- Sensors and inertial actuators technology development: APS, Star Trackers, sun sensors, Earth sensors, magnetometers, gyros, accelerometers, magneto-torquers, reaction wheels, CMG’s.
- Development and utilisation of the Control Hardware Laboratory (e.g. sensor characterisation and testing).
- Maintenance, development and set-up of AOCS simulation tools.
- Participation to the elaboration and promotion of ECSS standards in the E60 domain.
Do you think you are the person we are looking for? See below what experience or knowledge you should bring:
- A Master or PhD in Electronics Engineering
- Familiar with general development process for hardware space equipment (key reviews, model philosophy)
- A strong background in electronics (digital, analogue or both), and previous design experience
- Familiar with reviewing schematics, worst case and part stress analyses
- Good knowledge of the particularities of space electronics (protection of sensitive components, filtering of single events etc…).
What we offer if you join our amazing team:
- Competitive Salary
- Corporate Benefits Package
- Exciting relocation package (if applicable)
- Company events
About the Company
Serco is one of the world’s largest providers of public services to Governments employing over 50,000 people in over 20 countries. In Europe, Serco supports governments and international organisations in the delivery of essential public services with operations in Belgium, France and French Guyana, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland.
What connects the ever growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service and to keep ahead we have to constantly evolve and enhance the way we deliver our services and everyone in Serco has a role to play. We have a mandate to execute brilliantly and our people lead and inspire based on our core values, Trust, Care, Pride and Innovation.
If you share our values and want to join a team of over 50,000 passionate colleagues globally we want to hear from you.
Make a difference every day.
Serco European Agencies