RT-S/ESAC-SCI-01 Science Operations Software Engineer
Serco is a specialist at delivering vital services on behalf of European, National and Local Governments.
Serco Europe employ’s a large workforce in Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Switzerland, Germany, Holland, Spain, Italy and the UK.
Our European operations have ca. 2,000 employees delivering critical services to public institutions throughout Europe.
Software engineer support is required for software engineering tasks in the development/maintenance or enhancement the SOC systems. The main tasks include:
- Write technical requirements for SOC and archives subsystems and provide flow down from higher level requirements;
- Analysis of functionalities of existing SW systems and assessment of potential reusability;
- Analysis of requirements and propagation of impacts;
- Perform SW architectural design as needed;
- Implement/Maintain one or more subsystems/modules according to the requirements in the agreed language using the agreed tools;
- Development and integration of scientific algorithms;
- Coding scientific algorithms in specified language following detailed mathematical descriptions;
- Integrating these algorithms into the SOC framework;
- Testing and validating new implemented functionality (unit / integration tests) using simulation data;
- Optimize new code in terms of memory / CPU usage;
- Collaborate external scientists as needed;
- Ensure timely delivery of SW releases and relative increments;
- Deploy and configure new versions of the systems/modules on the validation and operational systems as requested;
- Software Configuration, integration and setting up of operating systems and layered software;
- Support the definition of Operational SGS Procedures (for procedures involving the use of SW);
- Training and supervision of SOC operators for the Operational tasks;
- Contribute to System verification and scientific validation;
- Aid in the definition, conduction and analysis of large-scale testing campaigns including a first assessment of the scientific quality of results;
- Documenting results of test campaigns in the form of validation test reports;
- Contribute to the definition of Interface Control Documents (ICDs) and interface definitions;
- Provide documentation for subsystems and manage change requests via Change Control Boards.
The Ideal Candidate
The candidate should have a PhD or MSc Engineering from a recognised Institution of Secondary studies or equivalent with minimum 4 years of relevant professional experience along with the following:
- Experience on ESA Science Ground Segment software engineering processes, such as ECSS-E-ST-40C and ECSS-Q-ST-80C standards;
- Experience in software configuration control processes and tools;
- Experience in software development under Linux;
- Some scientific background would be an asset;
- Experience in a complex software development acting as the technical lead;
- The ability to act as a system architect for such a complex software development;
- Extensive experience with Graphical User Interface (GUI) programming;
- Experience with the Qt toolkit or any comparable C++ based GUI toolkits;
- Knowledge of spacecraft systems engineering;
- Experience in modelling and simulation of spacecraft systems;
- Knowledge of mission planning concepts and processes;
- An understanding of the interfaces between the SOC and MOC;
- Extensive experience with object-oriented programming;
- Recent experience in C++ for a minimum of at least 4 years;
- Experience in other programming languages, such as Java, C, Python;
- Experience in data modelling and database design.
Please note that the closing date for applications is on 18/10/2017.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
For positions located within the Darmstadt Support Office please note that only applicants with no family affiliation within the Company will be considered.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Full details on application.
Relocation assistance provided (if applicable).
Fixed term contract.
About the Company
Serco Services GmbH, part of the Serco group, A FTSE250, Multi-national Service Provider with over 60,000 employees worldwide.
Serco’s space heritage over the last 40 years has placed us in the Space News Top 50 Space Industry Manufacturing and Services Companies - We work alongside EUMETSAT and the European Space Agency, where we are the largest on-site service provider with ca. 300 staff.
What connects the ever growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service – To keep ahead we have to constantly evolve and enhance the way we deliver our services and everyone in Serco has a role to play here.
Serco provide the right environment to encourage ideas and a comprehensive Best Practice support network that enables them to put their ideas into action.
If you share our values then join with over 60,000 colleagues globally who are equally as passionate about delivering great service as you
Serco European Agencies