OE-17-052 Spacecraft Operations System Engineer
Serco is a specialist at delivering vital services on behalf of European, National and Local Governments.
Serco Europe employ’s a large workforce in Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Switzerland, Germany, Holland, Spain, Italy and the UK.
Our European operations have ca. 2,000 employees delivering critical services to public institutions throughout Europe.
The primary areas of responsibility for this position consists in spacecraft operations engineering activities and monitoring of all operations activities executed by the Galileo Operator, including the different phases of operations preparation, validation and execution.
The candidate will be primarily assigned to the System Operations Engineering of the Galileo First Generation but with the possibility of supporting other missions (e.g. Galileo Evolutions projects) within the Galileo programme.
The general activities to be provided are (depending on the phase of the mission):
- Support Space Segment (SSEG) engineering activities to ensure operability, in particular compliance of space segment products with operations requirements, including new On-Board SW versions, user manuals, flight procedures, etc. Production of segment operability requirements for new s/c or new s/w releases, also based on lessons learned and in-flight anomalies, operational improvements, as provided by the European GNSS Agency (GSA) and its Galileo Service Operator (GSOp);
- Technical coordination of FOC Satellite manufacturer activity in support to corrective maintenance (i.e. generation of OBSW upgrades);
- Technical coordination of the ESA involvement in the Operations anomalies handling, non-conformance handling and technical configuration control boards processes in liaison with the GSA and its Operator;
- Support the GSA in the evaluation and execution of all operations activities executed by the Galileo Operator, ensuring the preparation, validation and execution of operations and plans;
- Follow-up of special operations, with particular attention but not limited to anomaly resolution cases, including evaluation and reporting of proper execution of spacecraft and mission operations;
- Supervision of technical coordination between in-orbit space segment maintenance activities (performed by ESA SSEG) and operational validation of maintenance products (performed by GSOp) including OBSW patches or new SW versions;
- General Flight Control Support Service (including participation to System Compatibility Test Campaigns) and Spacecraft Performance Analysis as required;
- Contribute to the definition of the System Level Operational concepts and requirements for the next generation of Galileo Satellites along with the interfaces with the ground infrastructure and associated External Interfaces for the different project phases;
- Participation to Galileo related review panels, evaluation boards, as required.
The Ideal Candidate
- Significant Experience in operations preparation and execution (including LEOP / Commissioning & In Orbit Testing and Routine phases);
- Significant experience in Spacecraft subsystem (AOCS /Data Handling /OBSM) and operations engineering;
- Significant experience in system operations engineering to ensure spacecraft operability in particular the compliance of space segment products with operations requirements in the area of new On-board SW developments, related user manuals and flight operations procedures;
- Significant experience in the coordination of Operations anomalies handling, non-conformance handling and technical configuration control board processes;
- Experience with integrated planning processes dealing with system and service operations, constellation and mission operations, ground infrastructure deployment and maintenance activities;
- Ability to carry on activities and interact in a complex teamwork environment in a timely manner;
- Fluency in English, both speech and writing;
- Coordination with other service providers in operations (team player);
- Interaction with other European Agencies (GSA) and service providers in operations;
- Ability to work independently;
- Should be able to travel on Mission.
- Experience in Spacecraft subsystem (Power/ Thermal/ TTC/ Payload);
- Familiarity with the Galileo Operations environment;
- Familiarity with satellite control systems (including SCOS-2000);
- Familiarity with Service KPIs;
- Familiarity with Ground Segment Deployments, integration and operational validation;
- Familiarity with ground station control processes and scheduling;
- Familiarity with operational simulators;
- Familiarity with ESTEC environment.
The candidate must be eligible for security clearance or must already possess one.
Please note that the closing date for the applications is on 03/11/2017.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
For positions located within the Darmstadt Support Office please note that only applicants with no family affiliation within the Company will be considered.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Full details on application.
Relocation assistance provided (if applicable).
About the Company
Serco Services GmbH, part of the Serco group, A FTSE250, Multi-national Service Provider with over 60,000 employees worldwide.
Serco’s space heritage over the last 40 years has placed us in the Space News Top 50 Space Industry Manufacturing and Services Companies - We work alongside EUMETSAT and the European Space Agency, where we are the largest on-site service provider with ca. 300 staff.
What connects the ever growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service – To keep ahead we have to constantly evolve and enhance the way we deliver our services and everyone in Serco has a role to play here.
Serco provide the right environment to encourage ideas and a comprehensive Best Practice support network that enables them to put their ideas into action.
If you share our values then join with over 60,000 colleagues globally who are equally as passionate about delivering great service as you