2x Oracle Database Engineer - PRO1507
Serco is a specialist at delivering vital services on behalf of European, National and Local Governments.
Serco Europe employ’s a large workforce in Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Switzerland, Germany, Holland, Spain, Italy and the UK.
Our European operations have ca. 2,000 employees delivering critical services to public institutions throughout Europe.
Serco’s space heritage over the last 40 years has placed us in the Space News Top 50 Space Industry Manufacturing and Services Companies - We work alongside EUMETSAT and the European Space Agency, where we are the largest on-site service provider with ca. 300 staff.
What connects the ever growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service – To keep ahead we have to constantly evolve and enhance the way we deliver our services and everyone in Serco has a role to play here.
Serco provide the right environment to encourage ideas and a comprehensive Best Practice support network that enables them to put their ideas into action.
If you share our values then join with over 60,000 colleagues globally who are equally as passionate about delivering great service as you.
Initially, the main objective of the position is to engineer and provide 3rd level support in the customer Oracle database environment. Depending on skills of the offered candidate, this might over time extend to the Microsoft SQL Server environment.
- Provide 3rd level support for operational Oracle 11g and 12c databases running on Solaris and Windows platforms. Identify any need for preventive or remedial maintenance throughout the use of diagnostic tools;
- Investigate, diagnose and resolve system problems using available tools and referring to external suppliers if required;
- Participate in the definition of concepts and design of complex Oracle based database systems and infrastructure including high availability solutions;
- Development of the standardised customer Oracle database architecture harvesting best practise and tailoring to customer specific requirements. Documenting installation and operational procedures for deployment by Data Centre Operations;
- Maintain and develop through releases the standards for deployed Oracle database systems. Plan, prepare and document maintenance activities such as software upgrades and patching;
- Advice projects on best practise and customer infrastructural standards for design, deployment and business services integration of Oracle based database systems;
- Contribute to the development of IT solutions in production by advising on the impact of planned changes, assisting Data Centre Operations in roll-out and post implementation;
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date technical documentation related to database systems, transfer knowledge to colleagues and ensure adequate documentation is available;
- Participate in the design and preparation of recovery and contingency exercises to ensure that Data Centre Operations can recover systems in accordance with predefined plans and documentation;
Additional desirable technical competencies:
- Experience with supporting, administering, maintaining or engineering Windows 2008 or higher server systems;
- Experience with supporting, administering, maintaining or engineering Solaris 10 or higher server systems;
- Experience with supporting, administering, maintaining or engineering Microsoft SQL Server 2008 or higher database systems;
- Experience with Microsoft SCCM 2007 or higher software distribution and task sequences;
- Experience with supporting, administering, maintaining or engineering Oracle Exadata environments;
- Experience with supporting, administering, maintaining or engineering Windows Active Directory environments;
- Experience with scripting and packaging technologies.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate should have at least 10 years of relevant experience
Position-specific expectations (all mandatory)
- Engineering and design experience;
- On-call duties possible.
Generic technical competencies (all mandatory)
- Experience with engineering, design, support, administration and maintenance of missioncritical production Oracle databases (at least 10 years);
- Experience with engineering, design, support, administration and maintenance of missioncritical production Oracle 11g databases (at least 5 years), including problem solving, performance tuning and capacity planning;
- Experience with Oracle Enterprise Manager 12c for organisation-wide management of Oracle database systems (provisioning, patching, monitoring, performance management and tuning);
- Experience with installation, configuration and maintenance of Oracle database features and options (Oracle Data Guard, ASM, Oracle Grid Control, Oracle Transparent Encryption, Oracle Data Pump, RMAN);
- Experience with migration and upgrade techniques between different Oracle database versions between different OS platforms;
- Very good knowledge of SQL, PL/SQL, and scripting;
- A good command of English with proven drafting ability;
- A working knowledge of MS Office (in particular Word, Excel and PowerPoint);
- A good understanding of Information Technology;
- A fair understanding of either Solaris 10 (or higher) or Windows 2008 R2 (or higher) server platforms is mandatory.
- Has strong analytical competencies;
- Is good at developing and visualising concepts, using simple/clear words and images to communicate ideas tailored to the audience;
- Is excited about technology and proactively keeps her/his knowledge up to date;
- Is a team player, ready to step in when needed, tactful when dealing with colleagues and shows commitment to the achievement of team and organisational goals;
- Strives to provide a good service to the customer and is ready to go the extra mile while at the same time managing expectations in view of organisational resources and strategic directives.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
For positions located within the Darmstadt Support Office please note that only applicants with no family affiliation within the Company will be considered.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Full details on application
Relocation assistance provided, (if applicable).
About the Company
Serco Services GmbH, part of the Serco group, A FTSE250, Multi-national Service Provider with over 60,000 employees worldwide.
Serco European Agencies