17/214976 Payload Data Ground Segment Systems Engineer
Serco is a specialist at delivering vital services on behalf of European, National and Local Governments.
Serco Europe employ’s a large workforce in Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Switzerland, Germany, Holland, Spain, Italy and the UK.
Our European operations have ca. 2,000 employees delivering critical services to public institutions throughout Europe.
The main tasks are related to different phases in the life cycle of EUMETSAT systems. The candidate will contribute to activities mainly corresponding to various stages of the Detailed Design –Phase C- of a given programme under definition and development, and Phase D (Implementation and Validation), as contribution to Integration, Verification and Validation.
The main emphasis is on the payload data ground segment of the EPS-SG programme. This covers payload data acquisition (ground stations) and data processing elements.
The candidate will perform typical system engineering activities in the lifecycle of a system, such as:
- Requirements engineering – mainly related to the verification processes, and encompassing downward and upward traceability, allocation and apportionment, and management with respect to verification control databases and the verification process;
- Design – defining the conceptual build and configuration which results in a physical architecture, described by its complete functional, physical and software characteristics;
- Planning, preparation and execution of integration and verification, with the final objective to demonstrate that the deliverables conform to the specified requirements.
Specifically for ground segment phase C and D, the candidate shall provide engineering service for the following engineering activities:
- Requirements engineering in DOORS. This includes review, specification and refinement of existing requirements, their up-traces to parent Ground Segment specifications, justifications and verification methods;
- Support to the procurement of payload data acquisition & processing elements by advising on technical solutions proposed by the responsible contractors, and by reviewing documentation to confirm its compliance with the requirements;
- Refinement of ICDs, especially those between payload data acquisition & processing elements and other GS functions;
- Support to the preparation and execution of the testing, integration and acceptance of procured elements;
- Support to the installation of ground segment elements at sites, and their integration into the overall Ground Segment system;
- Verification and validation (IV&V) of the integrated Ground Segment;
- Review of System, Space Segment and Ground Segment documentation dealing with requirements, concepts, algorithms and technical analyses of relevance for data processing, including review of calibration concepts defined by the Space Segment with emphasis on their implications on Ground Segment data processing concepts, interfaces and architecture;
- Participation in formal reviews and technical meetings at System and Ground Segment level.
- Distributing tasks and actions and providing directions to the key persons for the performance of the duties in line with the requirements;
- Following up, monitoring and managing the execution of the Work Packages and reporting to EUMETSAT on their progress status by delivering progress reports on a monthly basis;
- Participating in management coordination meetings with EUMETSAT.
In fulfilling the tasks described above, the candidate shall provide support to carry out the following types of activity:
Payload Data Acquisition & Processing Systems Engineering
- Engineering activities mainly related to requirements, design, and interface engineering.
Payload Data Acquisition & Processing Systems IV&V
- Engineering activities mainly related to integration, verification and validation.
- Service management related to the management of the service contract
The Ideal Candidate
The candidate should have University degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline along with at least 5 years of demonstrated experience in the areas and disciplines stated below.
- Experience in system engineering practices and processes, especially in the field of space systems engineering, including knowledge of ECSS standards and system life cycle processes;
- Extensive experience in payload data ground segments for large and complex Earth Observation missions, including L1/L2 processing software;
- Experience in management and traceability of complex requirements structures and the management of their verification via VCDs;
- Experience in the preparation of ground segment documentation relating to requirements engineering, design, and IV&V planning and execution;
Person(s) proposed for the Payload Data Acquisition & Processing Systems Engineering role shall have demonstrated experience in the above, with emphasis on overall systems engineering aspects of payload data ground segments.
Person(s) proposed for the Payload Data Acquisition & Processing IV&V Engineering role shall have demonstrated experience in the above, with emphasis on IV&V of payload data ground segments.
The ability to maintain a system overview is essential. There shall be a systematic approach to the work, and the ability to plan the work and to cope with tight schedules and multiple tasks.
Ability to write accurate and consistent technical documentation is essential, as is the ability to rapidly absorb, and make use of, information presented in written and oral communications in a dynamic context.
Fluency in English is required.
Please note that the closing date for applications is on 08/11/2017
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
For positions located within the Darmstadt Support Office please note that only applicants with no family affiliation within the Company will be considered.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Full details on application.
Relocation assistance provided (if applicable).
About the Company
Serco Services GmbH, part of the Serco group, A FTSE250, Multi-national Service Provider with over 60,000 employees worldwide.
Serco’s space heritage over the last 40 years has placed us in the Space News Top 50 Space Industry Manufacturing and Services Companies - We work alongside EUMETSAT and the European Space Agency, where we are the largest on-site service provider with ca. 300 staff.
What connects the ever growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service – To keep ahead we have to constantly evolve and enhance the way we deliver our services and everyone in Serco has a role to play here.
Serco provide the right environment to encourage ideas and a comprehensive Best Practice support network that enables them to put their ideas into action.
If you share our values then join with over 60,000 colleagues globally who are equally as passionate about delivering great service as you
Serco European Agencies