17/1604 Data Access Software Engineer
Serco is a specialist at delivering vital services on behalf of European, National and Local Governments.
Serco Europe employ’s a large workforce in Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Switzerland, Germany, Holland, Spain, Italy and the UK.
Our European operations have ca. 2,000 employees delivering critical services to public institutions throughout Europe.
The Long Term Archive Engineer (Data Access SW Engineer) shall perform the following tasks:
- Requirements elicitation, design, implementation, testing, software configuration, and maintenance of documentation for the EUMETSAI Long Term Archive - in-house bespoke software systems and- related commercial off the shelf software (COTS);
- Contributing to the entire software life cycle;
- Investigation into anomalies, their documentation. classification and the delivery of S/W correction and accompanying documentation, including updates to automated tests and the execution of relevant regression testing;
- Engineering level contribution to the EUMETSAT Long Term Archive, communicating and interacting with other teams at EUMETSAT as necessary;
- Software configuration management, release planning, preparation and deployment of software corrections;
- Identification of gaps and areas of improvement in the long term archive, leading to evolutions including identification of new technologies and concepts in support to these evolution.
The Ideal Candidate
In addition to having a University degree (or equivalent) in a relevant engineering discipline, the Key person must have excellent team working skills, while also demonstrating the ability to take initiative, work autonomously and have excellent analytical skills.
The key person shall have the following background:
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in the following mandatory areas:
- Provision of 2nd line maintenance support for operational systems;
- Software Engineer with extensive experience in designing, developing and maintaining software components and applications in the Java and C++/C programming languages under UNIX/Linux using the Object Oriented (OO) approach;
- Hands-on experience in designing, implementing and maintaining distributed systems and understanding of the underlying protocols and technologies – e.g. CORBA, JMS, Web Services;
- Software verification, validation and maintenance, using a formal life cycle;
- Relational Database (JDBC and SQL) preferably with demonstrable practical experience of Postgres;
- XML, XML Schema and XSLT technologies.
Furthermore, it would be a distinct advantage for the candidate to have experience with some of the following:
- Operations and maintenance of long term archive software and systems in a 24/7 operational environment;
- Usage of Hierarchical Storage Management (HSM) system (SAM-FS or equivalent);
- Software development using the Google Web Toolkit (GWT);
- Tomcat Application server development;
- Spatial Solutions (Oracle Locator, Postgres/Postgis).
The official languages of EUMETSAT are English and French. The working language for the position is English and therefore the candidate must be able to work effectively in this language and have knowledge of the other. Good communication skills would be also an advantage.
The closing date for applications is 22/10/17.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
For positions located within the Darmstadt Support Office please note that only applicants with no family affiliation within the Company will be considered.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Full details on application.
Relocation assistance provided (if applicable).
About the Company
Serco Services GmbH, part of the Serco group, A FTSE250, Multi-national Service Provider with over 60,000 employees worldwide.
Serco’s space heritage over the last 40 years has placed us in the Space News Top 50 Space Industry Manufacturing and Services Companies - We work alongside EUMETSAT and the European Space Agency, where we are the largest on-site service provider with ca. 300 staff.
What connects the ever growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service – To keep ahead we have to constantly evolve and enhance the way we deliver our services and everyone in Serco has a role to play here.
Serco provide the right environment to encourage ideas and a comprehensive Best Practice support network that enables them to put their ideas into action.
If you share our values then join with over 60,000 colleagues globally who are equally as passionate about delivering great service as you
Serco European Agencies