17/1593 Software Build and Deployment Engineer
Serco is a specialist at delivering vital services on behalf of European, National and Local Governments.
Serco Europe employ’s a large workforce in Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Switzerland, Germany, Holland, Spain, Italy and the UK.
Our European operations have ca. 2,000 employees delivering critical services to public institutions throughout Europe.
The candidate will support the maintenance of all current and future operational ground segments. The main duties are the maintenance and the re-design of the as-built software build environments and the building, packaging and distribution of any software that can be built on-site.
Furthermore the tasks include support to the operation of the UNIX and Windows-based ground segment facilities, to the analysis, evolution, testing, and maintenance of software items. They also include the setting-up and implementation of maintenance policies and procedures as well as the co-ordination with external providers of maintenance services.
In particular the tasks will include:
- Maintenance and development of the as-built software build environments;
- Building, packaging and distribution of software releases and patches;
- Provision of Consultancy to programmers with respect to software build and development strategies;
- installation, configuration and testing of externally developed software;
- Investigation into anomalies, their documentation and classification; follow up of the delivery of S/W corrections;
- Participation in technical meetings and formal reviews;
- Analysis of the maintenance requirements and identification, procurement or implementation of the tools to fulfil them; writing of maintenance procedures;
- Interfacing with external contractors who are providing maintenance services for ground segment facilities;
The Ideal Candidate
The candidate shall have significant work experience in Unix/Linux and in Windows and Windows Server-based environments. He/she should be familiar, to the extent required by the performance of the above tasks, with networking, distributed applications, and TCP /IP services.
The candidate shall have a University degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline and shall have proven experience in the following skills and experiences for at least 5 years:
- Essential knowledge and experience in using Unix/Linux command line tools;
- Software build environments and tools (like Ant, Maven, autoconf/automake, make);
- Version control systems (such as SVN, CVS, ClearCase, git);
- Various software packaging formats (like RPM, PKG, LPP, tgz);
- Scripting languages (e.g. bash, ksh, csh, Perl, Python);
- Networking, distributed applications, and TCPIIP services;
- Basic UNIX/Linux System Administration;
- CIC++ programming languages;
- Java programming language;
- Change Management processes;
Practical knowledge of as many as possible of the following software tools and products will be an advantage:
- Experience in unattended, centralized software installation mechanisms (PXEITFTP, NIM, Auto Y ast, kick-start etc.);
- Knowledge in Virtualization and Container technologies (VMware, Docker);
- Serena Dimensions CM;
- Basic Windows System Administration;
- MySQL and Oracle Databases;
- ECLIPSE or a similar IDE;
- Formalised Software Testing;
The following interpersonal skills are required:
- Very good communication, presentation, and team working skills combined with the ability to perform under very high workloads;
- The ability to adapt to a rapidly changing environment and obtain a system overview;
- A high degree of autonomy and good analytical skills.
The official languages of EUMETSAT are English and French. The working language for the position is English and therefore the candidate must be able to work effectively in this language.
Please note that the closing date for applciations is on 10/09/2017.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon you providing documents to verify your identity and employment eligibility, as required by law.
Applicants are reminded that they will be requested to produce such documentation during the recruitment process.
Please contact a member of the recruitment team if you require further details of acceptable types of documentation required for verification of identity and work authorization.
For positions located within the Darmstadt Support Office please note that only applicants with no family affiliation within the Company will be considered.
When creating a profile on the Serco Career Centre you agreed to the Data Protection policy, a copy is available upon request.
You may submit a written request revoking your consent to this agreement at any time.
Full details on application.
Relocation assistance provided (if applicable).
About the Company
Serco Services GmbH, part of the Serco group, A FTSE250, Multi-national Service Provider with over 60,000 employees worldwide.
Serco’s space heritage over the last 40 years has placed us in the Space News Top 50 Space Industry Manufacturing and Services Companies - We work alongside EUMETSAT and the European Space Agency, where we are the largest on-site service provider with ca. 300 staff.
What connects the ever growing Serco workforce is a passion for delivering great service – To keep ahead we have to constantly evolve and enhance the way we deliver our services and everyone in Serco has a role to play here.
Serco provide the right environment to encourage ideas and a comprehensive Best Practice support network that enables them to put their ideas into action.
If you share our values then join with over 60,000 colleagues globally who are equally as passionate about delivering great service as you